Is this a video good card upgrade for my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pclover, Apr 5, 2007.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Id be concerned with your power supply. But yes, that would be a tremendous upgrade.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Would it work with my pc? without doing a PSU upgrade

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have a 7600GT and love it but as Adryn said, your PSU is way too weak. Get a minimum of 400W. There may be some proprietary issues also. Make sure you can get a compatible power supply.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

make sure your comp supports pci express too

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

It does support PCI Express x16 so it wont work on my pc with a 300 watt psu

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

8. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

Ok good choice on that video card, it will be a AWESOME upgrade, however on the power supply i would go with something a little beefier only because you can use the top amount the power on most of the cheaper ones is very unstable when your using this (i know from experience :( ) however a power supply more like this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974309&CatId=1483 would [/URL]probably be a better bet for not too much more money. Also i know from experience that is a AWESOME power supply (same one thats running my baby right now) and it is dual rail to provide good solid stable power. It also has 2 PCI Express connectors on it and is SLI and CrossFire certified. If it was me i would shell out the extra dough for a better PSU and not have your hardware fried from crappy power or have the supply shut down because even though it is rated at 450w it may not actually give out that much power. Also this power supply has been tested extensively and most likely wont catch on fire. And the only complaint i have is the forceflex cables, a pain to route but they do look good and save space once you get them going where and how they need too.

9. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Ekkk i really dont want to spend that much for a power supply but ummm so your saying that other PSU is crap

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You can get buy with that power supply but its not name brand, and you get what you pay for. So you can try it but i wouldn't count on it.

11. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

i contacted HP and they said the max my pc could handle was 450 Watts WAAAAAAA

12. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

Ok a 450w power supply will work, but like ColemanGuy said with stuff like this you get what you pay for. You can try that power supply but you may just be buying another one very soon. It you check out the power supply section at either TigerDirect.com or NewEgg.com you can probably find a good 450w unit for not too bad of a price. I would go with something from a more reputable company such as OCZ or ULTRA. Also this card has low power consumption, in the pictures i dont even see a power connector on the card, but dont hold me to that. So a 450w will work, but be careful of buying cheap.

13. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Also, don't just go out and buy a PSU, HP computers often have a proprietary standard so they won't let you upgrade unless you buy an overpriced power supply directly from them. Basically, be sure that the dimensions of the power supply allow it to fit in your case.

As for your 300W power supply, you might be ok. It really depends on what other stuff you have in your system. If you have 2 hard drives, and 2 optical drives, you may be pushing the limits of the PSU. If you only have 1 of each, you might be alright. You could always buy the video card, and try it out. If you experience problems (most likely reboots when playing games) then it means you would need a bigger power supply.

14. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I have one Western Digital hard Drive, AMD Anthlon 64 x2 3800+,and one cd rom dvd cd bunner combo drive the guy in in the hp chat said any power supply up to 450 Watts will work with my computer so humm

15. Stenmin1

Stenmin1 Private E-2

I would have to agree with Wyatt and think that a 300W PSU should be enough to run the card if you really can't spend the extra money. From the looks there is not power connector, and a better card like a 7950 supposedly only require a 350W PSU.

Also you could do your own case modification to make a power supply fit in there, but doing that would void any warranty I would assume. Then again probably even adding your graphics card or PSU would probably do that.

16. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

so should i go head and try it on my power supply? i am looking at new PSU's now

17. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

i found A minimum recommended 350W system power supply for that card should i try it anyways?

18. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

You can give it a shot with the power supply you have now, and if it dosent work out then upgrade.

19. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

ok ill will try that

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Overloading a power supply could cause it to die, and also damage other components.

Sure you want that kind of mess on your hands?

21. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Hummmm i dont know what to do and i am trying not to buy a new PSU umm what about this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182022 yeah your right i could blow my psu out and i would not be happy if it damaged other parts yeah its safer to get a new psu is that psu ok thanks for your help guys

22. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I have to agree with a lot of the advice which has been given here. A brand name PSU will without a doubt deliver good clean stable signals to each component over a no name OEM. I’d also recommend a surge protector or if you can afford it a half decent UPS if your in an area prone to electrical storms. Just be careful when selecting a PSU I know from experience that branded computers are quite often fitted with non standard PSU’s making upgrading difficult while using the same case.

The PSU you suggested should be more than enough for what you’ll need. This PSU should also do what you need for a few dollars less if you’re like me and on a budget. I’d also suggest having a look at the X1950GT coming in at $139.99 ($109.99 after rebate). That card is well worth having a look at and should perform as well as a 7900GS! Mine should be with me next week! :D

Good luck with your upgrades! :)

23. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

i like the other PSU better because i will get free shipping with that and it got better review then the other one and i don't want to buy a ATI video card

24. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

By all means, go for it if it's a better deal! Don't forget to be 100% sure it'll fit into your HP case! :)

It's up to you which card you'll get, but check on Newegg again I'm almost 100% sure I seen a 7900GS for around $144.99! Shop around on the video cards, different brands means different prices, same chips = the same performance and 99% of the time the brand is irrelevant! :major

Good Luck!

25. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I got the video card and it works verry well on my psu that came with the computer and it so much better then intraged inoticed it right away thanks for your help guys

26. WaHooCrazy7

WaHooCrazy7 Private E-2

Glad to hear it. Have fun!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds