No Audio Device

Discussion in 'Software' started by k0oki3d0ugh, Apr 5, 2007.

1. k0oki3d0ugh

k0oki3d0ugh Private E-2

I'm new here and kind of slow at this computer tech stuff, so please bear with me. I recently rebooted my computer (Windows XP) because the sound wasn't working, something was up with my printer, and plugging in flash drives/camera freezes the computer. I figured if that after I reboot it, it'll be back to normal but its not. There is no volume control and everytime I try to play music or do anything that requires sound, I can't hear anything. A message would pop up like "No audio device". I have read other forums but they either didn't work for me or I just didn't understand half the things they were saying.

Also, I keep getting this message that says "Power surge on port hubs". I am assuming the port hubs are the things that you plug flash drives, iPODs, etc. in? It won't go away, and my computer freezes whenever I plug in a flash drive...

I'm pretty sure I need to give more information about my computer in order to get some help, but I don't know what to look for. Please help me :(

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

First- WELCOME TO MAJOR GEEKS! :major
    It sounds like you have numerous problems here. The USB Power surge thing is not good. I've only seen it twice before, and both times the USB ports were totally dead, and a USB PCI card had to be installed after disabling the built in USB ports. Now for the sound- did it ever work? If it was working and then just stopped, try this: Click Start > Control Panel > System. Click on the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager button. Look thru list that comes up for any exclamation points or question marks (! and ?). There's probably one listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. It might be under Other Devices. If so, right click on the device with the ? or ! and choose Uninstall. Then close the Device Manager and reboot. If that doesn't take care of it, we'll need to know if you're using built in sound (probably) or a seperate sound card, like a PCI card (if you plug the speakers into a green port near the mouse and keyboard ports, you have built in sound). Then we'll need the model and make of your motherboard (or if you have a Dell or HP or Compaq, the model number is needed), or the make and model of the PCI sound card. If you don't know this info, download and run Everest Home : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181 and if you click on Devices or Computer (just poke around and write down what is listed), Everest will tell you what you/we need to know....

hopperdave2000
    Again, Welcome! :major

3. k0oki3d0ugh

k0oki3d0ugh Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome! :)

This computer used to be my sister's and she had it for a little over a year. Then she gave it to me and I've had it for a little over a year with no problems. Just about a month ago it's been getting a bit screwed up but there were no viruses or anything. My music would work for about half the song, and then suddenly the sound would stop but the song would continue to play. Then at times, the there would be no sound at all except the start up sound when you first turn on your computer. Because of all the problems, i rebooted it a few days ago and now there is no sound at all (not even when the comp starts up).

i have checked through the list in Device Manager and there are no exclamation points or questions marks. This is what's listed under Sound, video, and game controllers:
    -audio codecs
    -legacy audio drivers
    -legacy video drivers
    -media control devices
    -unimodem half-duplex audio device
    -video codecs

My speakers are plugged into a green port so i guess i have built in sound.
    My computer is:
    T4510 eMachines
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition Preinstalled

the weird thing is that just a couple of seconds ago, this "beep" came out of my speakers. i dont know why... I'm currently downloading the everest thing so i'll post what i find when its done

thank you for replying so quick =]

4. k0oki3d0ugh

k0oki3d0ugh Private E-2

i just finished installing the EVEREST Home Edition and under Multimedia, it says Windows Audio and PCI / PnP Audio. Under windows audio:
    device identifier device description
    wave-in.0 0001 0050 Modem #0 Line Record
    wave-out.0 0001 0051 Modem #0 Line Playback

there is nothing listed under PCI / PnP Audio

also, under the network tab is Windows Network and PCI / PnP Network. I think the info under the PCI / PnP Network is important so here it is:
    Device Description Type
    Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter [A/B/C] PCI

5. k0oki3d0ugh

k0oki3d0ugh Private E-2

can someone please help me??

6. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi there!

The Realtek Fast Ethernet device is your network card. The "hole" for it looks like a large telephone plug if you live in Australia and I think in America and the UK too. If you're on broadband, there's probably a cable coming out of it and connected to your modem.

Like the sound, if the cable plugs in next to the mouse and keyboard, it's probably a built in network card.

I think you should have another line between the "media control devices" and "unimodem half-duplex audio device" lines which would be your inbuilt sound card but not 100% about that. It sounds like the inbuilt sound isn't working and isn't being found either, perhaps because it's died.

The beep you're hearing is probably being sent directly via a little speaker on the motherboard which doesn't depend on the sound card working, inbuilt type or otherwise. Do you hear any beep(s) when you start up the computer? It would be normal to hear a single short beep near the very beginning of starting up the computer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds