Help - missing or corrupt file

Discussion in 'Software' started by reight8, Apr 5, 2007.

1. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

missing or corrupt file

windows wont boot... and it shows me a prompt screen of

<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

i dont have the xp software on me, anything i can do?

2. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i need help really bad!!!!!!

i have a missing or corrupted file

<windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

what can i do??

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: Help

Please do not start multiple threads for your problem. You should remain in one forum and in one thread. Your other thread in the Welcome Center will be deleted since this problem belongs in the Software Forum. And I have merged you first thread posted in the Software Forum with this one. Starting multiple threads will not get you an answer any faster.

Why don't you have a Windows XP CD that you can restore the file from? Perhaps you can borrow one and boot to the Recovery Console to restore the file. However you may have more issues than the single file.

How did your system get in this state to begin with?

Also note: We do not answer technical questions via PMs! All requests for help and discussions on these topics belong in the public forums where all users can benefit from the discussion.

4. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i woke up this morning and saw that message.... the missing or corrupt file one and it just wont boot up now.. is their any way i can do it without the disk?

sorry for that i wasnt sure how to post a thread then figured it out...

im stressing out because i have a term paper on that and cant get to it... sorry

5. chaslang

Do you mean your PC was running overnight when the message occurred and now it occurs at boot up? Does it happen when you try to boot in safe mode?

No! You need something to boot your system up and that is a Windows XP boot disk or another Boot type disk made to boot up and read and write your files system.

Is this a school provided PC? If so, take it to your IT department and have them fix it.

6. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

yea i left it running over night.... actually i woke up early... checked it.. it was fine.. then fell back to sleep.. when i woke up again it had that message...
    safe mode doesnt work, nothing does... just a black screen then a few minutes go by and that message comes up again

no its my lap top i just dont have any boot up disks for it... i moved and lost them.....
    so im in a terrible position...

7. chaslang

Yep!

Perhaps as I said you can borrow an XP CD from friend just to get the file reinstalled but as I implied earlier, don't be surprised if more than that file winds up being missing. The file may not even be missing. You could have other issues.

You could even have a bad hard disk. Read the below for some additional info that may be helpful:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124550

8. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i have a recovery disk for xp professional... on the computer im using now... but the lap top is home.... will it still work or no?

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Only try file acquisition, Method 2, as you could lose data, with a failed recovery with the wrong disk, so don't try to reciover it unless your system is XP Pro, and you have your XP numbers written down -

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  11. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

well is it worth trying.... my other computer is xp home.... and i have the xp pro cd's.... sooo should i just try that?

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have managed to run sfc /scannow from a XP Pro disc, on an XP Home system, that is why I said try the file changing as described in Method 2.
    I would not try anything beyond those items, as you do not want to lose you data, DO NOT TRY A REPAIR INSTALLATION WITH AN XP PRO DISC ON XP HOME WILL GET PARTWAY, BUT, THEN YOU ARE LOST, AS YOUR SYSTEM WILL BE CORRUPTED, AND YOUR DATA LOST.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  13. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

and how do i do file changing? or wat link can talk me through it?

14. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

alright so i tried recovery and did chkdsk /r and after that i got another missing or corrupt file....
    winnt\system32\config\system

and it says to use the original set up cd rom...

what should i try doing?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Define did recovery.

If you mean you reinstalled the OEM recovery disk, then you have hardware failure, most likely ram. If you mean you did a Windows repair...then you will likely have to find a way to back up your data and do a new install.

If you mean that you merely did a chkdsk /r from recovery console, try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

If you have another corrupt file afterwards, I'd still point at ram.

A good ram tester:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

16. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i used the windows xp recovery console thing...... and did the chkdsk /r and when it was done that new thing came on

and on the computer with the problem it has windows xp home i used the xp pro disk to run recovery.... im not sure what i can do... what do you think is the best way to go about this?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Follow my post.

18. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

ok well when i first used recovery it never asked for an admin password.. and it just asked me for one... i typed in the one i use to log on to windows... and it says its invalid... im stuck yet again

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You should not type in a password, when it asks - by default it is blank, just press enter, and follow Adrenalynes directive.

20. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

when i press enter it just restarts....

it wont let me go any farther it first asked wat windows to log onto i press 1 enter... then asks for password... when i dont enter one like i said it restarts and when i try the one i have for the adminstrator to log onto windows before the problem it says invalid...

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If, as Adrenaline says, you have faulty ram,or, as Chaslang says, a failing hard drive, you may still find errors showing.
    Try as often as possible to get into safe mode, after each attempt with files, because if you can get into windows at all, immediately download your term paper.

22. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

alright... ive tried doing safe mode... i tried restarting from last safe state... and none of that works....

so is their no way to get past the admin password on the recovery disk?

23. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

ok i got past the password issue... i tried the link adrenaline gave me but when i enter the information it says access denied...

thanks to everyone who is helping me... im just very stressed about this problem

24. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i followed the support and it wont let me repair the system part
    copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config\system
    it said it cant find it...

25. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

26. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

ive tried.... i think everything.... i dont know what to do any more.... any final suggestions?

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why are you using C:\winnt?

By default, Windows XP is installed into C:\windows

28. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

thats what my windows folder is though.....

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My original link, method 2 was to --bootcfg /rebuild
    As I said, if you go too far with the wrong disk, you could be in trouble.
    I think others will agree that you need that XP Home disk to run a repair properly.

30. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

At this stage surely the most important objective is to recover the data.
    I would read the hard drive on another system, depending upon the resources available.
    One is to get a linux boot disk
    Another is to resize the windows partition downwards , create a new one and install a second copy of windows, which will read the data on the first and may b even enable repair. This is the microsoft preferred solution.

The problem with this is that I would use partition magic, which can boot the pc by itself, to resize. Does any geek know a suitable alternative from the geek stable?

Studio T

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I was hoping Studiot would 'pop' in - As Studiot says, it is easier to read off another drive, but I resisted offering this as you have a laptop, and it will probably be a 2.5 drive, so you would need to 'loose ' connect it, to your other computer, as it could be too small to fit anywhere.
    I always use Partition magic, it makes partitioning pretty safe.
    If you follow Studiots lead, and did install partition magic, you could use your other XP to set up a temporary(30 day) working system on your present hard drive, to read the original from.Otherwise, remove it from the laptop, and connect as a slave drive to your other computer - as long as you take the antistatic precautions, you would be o.k.
    But , if you are not that well conversed with the inside of a computer, come back for step by step advice - You will get help from someone here.

32. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Term paper? I guess you are a student of some sort. Take it to your school/college IT department/teacher/robot and explain the problem. It would be a pretty poor department that did not help out.

Studio T

33. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

ok... thank you.... i ended up finding a flash drive... and i go through the prompt with my recovery disk and copy them to the memory stick(flash drive)
    so im saving all of my stuff. should i just re format it after and start all over or... should i take it in to get it fixed?

34. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

and thank you to everyone who has tried to help... i appreciate it very much, you guys are truly the best

35. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for posting the end of the story it's always good to hear.

If you have the drivers, XP CD and upgrades it should take you 90 minutes to return to a full system, witht the confidence that nothing is lurking in the background.

If you don't have the drivers, see if you can copy any drivers folders from existing or look on the net for downloads. Tell us the model we can help here.

Your XP will be out of date for patches. An alternative way to connecting to Microsoft and chacing a massive update is autopatcher. This is also big but at least it's a straightforward download. You can make a copy and update at your leisure.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AutoPatcher_XP_Full_d4901.html

Studio T

36. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

so last night i get everything back and working... internet starts working on it and wat not.... so i leave it on last night and this morning wake up.... its like hibernating.. so i hit power it goes to show windows and restarts and guess wat

missing or corrupt file
    windows\system32\config\system

same shit....

is my hard drive ****ed up? i mean it was working fine...
    so im not sure

37. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well, we hope you copied your term paper, as that was obviously your most important issue.
    It does seem like your hard drive is suspect,

38. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried safe mode, last known good, ?

39. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

40. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So why did you leave it on overnight? What was it doing? and was it connected to the mains adapter?

And for the second time what is the model of laptop?

Studio T

41. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

i just closed the lap top it self and wanted to see if it got fixed... did i mmess something up??

its a gateway m505
    do you any thing else?

so i just re formatted again to see if anything will be different..... its working alot better than it was last night when did this...

i used my xp disk from my home computer.... i cant register it huh??

i own the program... anything i can do?

42. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Answer Studiot, and we might be of more help. Studiot is very good at these niggly problems, and one of the reasons he asks is probably because of power spikes, amongst other things, if you leave it on overnight.

43. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

the model..... gateway m505
    is the model of the lap top.....
    intel pent M processor 1400mhz
    512 mb ram
    xp professional 2002 service pack 1

anything else?? im not sure what else to give you...

44. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The XP disc - you say - is from your home computer?
    It is not valid on the laptop.
    If you have the COA for your operating system, and it is XP Home, then you can only put XP Home on it as a permanent legally recognised Windows.
    The Professional disc might be yours, but it is only valid on the computer first registered.

45. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have the Windows COA (The Valid Windows Registration numbers), you need an XP Home disk to reinstall, for permanent use.
    If you cannot borrow one, or, perhaps have someone do it for you, you are really on a 30 day notice to shut off your computer by microsoft automatically.- The blue screen of death.

46. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

soo my xp cd from my house computer.... wont work with the lap top... cant i just say i reformatted myo ther computer and the key wont work?

47. reight8

reight8 Private E-2

o crap i just read ur first reply sorry i didnt the first time....

even after reformatting??

48. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It will work, --- for 30 days. It got you out of trouble - you got your Term paper - This is Microsfts liscencing.

49. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK XP pro. The hiberbnate mode has caused considerable heartache. So lets make sure the basic settings are right first. When a pc enters hibernation the entire memory is copied to hard drive. So I presume you have more drive space free than the memory size?

The group policy refresh interval must be greater than the hibernation interval.

First start in the bios and check that ACPI (notAPM) is enabled

Then right click my computer>properties>hardware tab>devicemanager
    expand the entry 'computer'
    check Windows recognises ACPI

Once this is done close all windows
    start controlpanel>power options
    Check the entries in the first tab for self consistency i.e. that things shut down in a sensible order and timing.
    Set standby and hibernation modes.
    Note the hiberbnation time.

On the advanced tab check the power, sleep and lid button settings

On the hibernation tab check hibernation is enabled and confirm you have enough disk space.

close all windows.

start>run>typein

gpedit.msc
    In the details pane of group policy, under user configuration,
    administrative templates>system>click group policy
    double click refresh interval for users set to greater than standby or hibernation times.
    double click refresh interval for computers set to greater than standby or hibernation times.

click enabled

close all windows and restart

See how this works out checking functionality was a good idea but you don't have to wait overnight.

Studio T

50. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

It seems I was composing my post whilst you guys were chatting about license stuff. Anyway you now know how to set the ACPM and hibernation.
    Windows XP home does not have the Group Policy Editor.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds