Another Vista to XP question

Discussion in 'Software' started by wetrat, Apr 6, 2007.

1. wetrat

wetrat Private E-2

Facts:
    I need to get a new laptop.
    I'll probably be getting a HP; 1.6-2.0GHz, 512-1GB RAM, 80-100GB HD.
    I'll have to get it pre-fab from my local big box store.
    I want XP, but all are only available with Vista.
    I will buy a full version of XP.
    I don't want both XP & Vista on the computer.

Questions:
    Straight out of the box, what exactly do I do to totally remove Vista?
    I assume you will suggest 'formatting' the hard drive. How is this done?
    If this is clearing the hard drive, will the newly installed XP see whatever hardware is on the computer (audio/video stuff, CD/DVD, etc.) and recognize it?
    Should I document any settings before dumping Vista?
    Assuming I get Vista off, do I just start the computer with the XP disc in the drive to get the install process started?

Thanks for your help and patience.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The XP disc will give you the option to delete all partitions and format the hard drive. This will remove Vista. I would recommend you download all the Windows XP drivers for your laptop, beforehand. If these are not available from the manufacturer's website, use Everest, which will provide system information including installed hardware and links for said drivers.

3. wetrat

wetrat Private E-2

Thanks for the info.
    Will start shopping around today.
    I'll post back here when the deed is done.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds