Dell + Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by studiot, Apr 13, 2007.

1. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have just received the Vista upgrade for a new Dell, promised as part of the original Xmas buy.

Has anyone done this upgrade yet and have any comments?

Studio T

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This was one of those packages Dell sold just before Xmas, when they did not have Vista, but offered to upgrade when it came out.

Two cds /dvds, I didn’t check, and a short, fairly intelligible instruction leaflet arrived today. It is mandatory to be connected to the internet by a very good link to do this upgrade.

The first disk is called Dell upgrade assistant. This fellow runs the show and is run first. It checks the pc is a proper Dell and looks at any software and hardware that has been added. It also reflashes the BIOS.
    It then goes onto the internet and updates or patches anything it feels necessary. You also have the option to remove the offender.
    Next it displays a list of hard core criminals and ‘temporarily’ removes them, saying it will reinstate them after installing Vista. Included were the Dell (Roxio) software to run the DVD drive. Dell proposed to replace with Cyberlink after the event as Roxio “is not compatible with Vista”
    Only when it is satisfied that the pc is clean and ready for Vista does it allow you to change to the second disk with vista on.
    All the while Vista is installing the Dell Assistant provides a ‘container’ which comes back at the end to play politics (renege) on its promises.

Anyway Vista starts to install and busies away quite well. Except that it produces its own list of pet hates, quite different from Dells.
    Interestingly I had turned Zone Alarm off and neither baulked at ZA’s presence.

After signing my life away, inputting the security code and choosing to activate online whilst installing Vista offered either an upgrade install or a clean install.

I chose to upgrade so that there could be something there to roll back to.

Just when I was thinking that both disks would run within the hour and the installation was 90% complete a sudden shutdown occurred and Windows Vista kept rebooting to the options screen you know safe mode etc.

I eventually forced it to roll back to XP, Where I uninstalled Zone Alarm.

A second try produced a full upgrade, with the new clock confirming I had spent two and a half hours after all.

However Dell Assistant then showed the sting in its tail by saying that Roxio could be upgraded after all, but failed to do it. However a visit to the Roxio site produced a patch and all was well again.

The 3.2 GHz, 2G Ram Dell Dimension 9200 ‘purpose built for Vista’ was noticeably slower under Vista and refused to play a commercial MP3 Cd that XP played quite happily. With both this and a standard audio CD Vista locked solid and had to be turned off with the front power button.

Time will tell

Studio T

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks for that information, Studiot.
    I have added it to my list.
    I will be installing Vista, perhaps in a couple of weeks, when I have more time, on my new computer (core 2 duo - 2.13 ghz- 4gb 667 ram- 256 pci-e graphics card)
    I am thinking that I will put it on a seperate hard drive, and slave the XP HARD DRIVE to it, attempting to keep partition magic, that way- we will see.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

One month on and I can report that Vista has not been crashed by two teenagers attempting the worst. Zone Alarm wouldn't play ball so this system has gone back to AVG.

Have just fixed the Dlink air link after an XP reinstall following the same teenager 'upgrading his graphics' on his own pc.

Studio T

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Problems after upgrading an OS.

There is a shock. One day, everyone will realize that Microsoft can't do upgrades worth a damn. Of course, neither can Linux or Apple. I'm aware it probably isnt an option, but if you want trouble free installations and operations of an OS, CLEAN INSTALL. Good to see it all worked out in the end though.

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Can't wait for sp1? I have vista upgrade,but I will not install until sp1 comes in daylight.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

WHY? as what makes you think your PC will work ok once Vista SP1 is released, if you cannot run RTM then your likely to have issues with SP1 as well. Too many get fixated on this I will wait for SP1 thing, seems to be the "in" thing to say on forums.

Sadly StudioT, ZoneLabs have not released a final version of their Firewall yet, there is a beta but its not too stable enough yet to want to use on a non-test PC, and for me ZoneAlarm has gone the wrong way in bulking up their app with AntiVirus, Malware, Popup blockers etc, we only have to think of the other DEVs who have done this and how their apps behave.

Vista Firewall Control is a good option if you feel the inbuilt one is not good enough, I still have an active suggestion report open at msft on why they didnt continue and make it truely two way and easy to use!

23bit version if your interested
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Firewall_Control_32-bit_d5578.html

personally I'm waiting for Comodo to finalise their offering.

Updates on many OSes are a royal PITA, but on Vista due to new security rules its harder as many devs do not follow code rules that msft issue, they try and cut corners and in this case get caught out by changed priorities in the likes of the resgistry access etc,

BUT once setup and the basics are done in relation to drivers, security software that the OS is pretty robust.

Cheers for the follow up.

8. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

the thing is Halo ,I saw many complains about vista upgrade,and many of this people want to know hot to rollback to xxxxXP.thats why.I'm the guy who want to learn from peoples mistakes.and I can install rtm,just don't want to.

9. DavidGP

Sadly most complaints are by users who do not do some homework in making sure their PC is upto the job, has drivers, has software that works etc, I think by reading this thread and StudioTs observations you'll see that while not ever the best way to install a new OS in being an upgrade it can work ok, if you do the background work on many of the software and drivers on said PC.

Trick really is to remove all 3rd party software that has not had Vista specific updates, drivers are more difficult, but if your hardware does not have a Vista update or is flagged in the Upgrade Advisor app then be weary of installing Vista in the first place, this is where many who grumble get caught out.

I did 10 upgrade installs in testing last year on Vista and 3 failed for various reasons, I hate upgrade installs with a passion and will never advise it as an option on a new designed OS, but there are work arounds to a clean install with an upgrade DVD.

One of the things I notice now is that with all the moans and grumbles on the net, some by folk who have great points and some who just didnt do homwork or really have the knowledge to t/shoot installs, is that some who get new PC with Vista pre installed want to revert immidiatly to XP, this then brings a new problem in that many OEMs are using Vista designed hardware, most notably onboard sound and NIC which may not have XP drivers.

I never believe anything I read on the net as to complains on any OS, I find it best to personally try something for myself to make my own opinion as whos to say the others are correct, its just their experience... if it didnt work for them and they didnt want to take the time to fix it then thats their right.

Its easy to diss a product but if you have not tried it, then how can you form your own opinion.

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

you wrote,I read.that's how it works for me.I never say that I'm IT expert,I'm just very carefull about this stuff.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From my studying different reports, finding driver, and hardware compatable references, and toying with one ,or, two Vista pc's, I think it is a great upgrade, but not if you do not check first for compatability - Microsoft, no matter what you might think of them, are providing as much information on Vista compatability, with links to hardware manufacturers - all you need.
    My only reason for delaying putting Vista on my new computer (that I purchased new Vista, and Xp discs with the build parts,) is that I like to refer back to XP, and , having installed XP , and Hyperos (withpartition Magic, which Vista does,nt like), on the C:Drive, I had to get up to date with the boot configuration, as Vista likes the C;drive.
    I want to be able to switch ,as I always have, at my will, not Vista's, as I run several intensive graphics, and formula related work which can crash XP, if too much on one partiton, I like my partitions ,once setup, being available to just drop a copy on, if it gets corrupted, and I am short of time

Now that I have enough research to enable me to install it, I will, when I find time, install it, on a second hard drive (sata 2) and use cable select, so that I can jump between op's as I wish, and not spoil my Xp (and copies of same in partitions on the first hard drive.
    From what I have seen, its going to be great.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

For those interested, watching developments, and considering Vista, or, who already have it, but are finding difficulties, like Goran.P

Microsoft hardware advice for Vista

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Microsoft advice on cpu, and Graphics for Vista.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

And

Vista drivers site

http://www.radarsync.com/vista/
    Compatability list
    http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List
    http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...List#AntiVirus

13. DavidGP

Nice links baklogic for many thinking of going Vista, and seems you have done all you can to make a Vista install go smoothly as possible, I found that drivers were only an issue in the missing ones, thankfully all are now available for my laptop, forced one in but they all work.

Hope when you get the time it all goes well, if not do post a thread as I know a few of us here have done many Vista installed, either as part of the private beta program or just commercially on many PCs, so know pitfalls and workarounds.

@ Goran, I totally agree with you on being careful, all I was trying to point out is dont believe all you read, try yourself as its not as bad as many think, TBH XP got same treatment when it was released.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks, Halo, I will certainly ask, if I get stuck, :cry
    Personal satisfaction, is often gained from succeeding with any problem, but Computing is constantly changing, and to draw on the knowledge and experience of others, is common sense.
    My new Computer gets used with XP, until I collect another hard drive - I will keep Vista seperate, like I said, as Hyperos are coming out with the new version with the Vista copying facility about now, and I can then keep a copy of Vista on a seperate partition, and always be able to replace it within less time than it takes for the misses to burn the dinner, complete with all programs,and with copies of the completed setup, before I play with it, on the hard drive.- Just by click, drag , drop, have a cup of tea, and Vista up and running.
    It is only partition magic that I have to get by - Hyperos's new version for Vista, (I am sure) has a fix, or, alternative that will work with Hyperos.:wine

15. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

thank you for understanding HALO,I m carefull only cos I'm poor (in money).so any adventures whitch can cost my comp to be dead is out of the question.And this is all I have to learn from you guys.YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!
    And thanks Baklogicfor this sites.

16. DavidGP

@StudioT ~ just a question I though of now, and as you are a system builder and in light of your experience above, how many others have you built or upgraded with Vista and what woudl be the over all feedback from the end users? good or bad.

I dont commercailly system build apart from doing them for friends or reletives, so will not do as many as you, but I find the initial view is Ahhhhhhhh scary this is not like XP, I do say "well thats because its Vista" but I knwo they are refering to the layout of menus etc, but after a few weeks they tend to say, "this is really good and better than I thought"

Just wondered if you get feedback from your customers.

@Goran, yes computers are a lifeline these days and I would not be easily jumping into trying new things out like Betas or New OSes like Vista until they matured a bit and feedback was good, unless I had the spare PCs I have as I need at least one that is a stable workstation, mostly for my work.

SO baklogics idea is a great one, if you do have a spare hard drive, then you could unhook your XP one ( just pull cable out ) and do a trial install of Vista on the spare..... great way to test without loosing your XP install.

I didnt mention dual boot as that has its risks.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Studiot,
    This was a good idea, to discuss the pro's and con's of Vista, from those who have begun using it.I hope we get more visits on this topic.
    I think that what I have seen from the couple I worked on (put an antivirus, open office (sorry Microsoft, but not everyone can afford the latest office , in U.K.- TOO EXPENSIVE, YET )-, and it took only minutes to work the basic features out, -so that was good, for first time- I believe those with a little computer savvy will have no trouble.
    The slight changes in where things are actually made it easier for me, perhaps others will see that once they get into it.
    Now the big question, from the general punter seems to be about what will , or, will not work on it.
    From the one's I have dealt with, they were manufacture installed ( of all places pc world, - and e-machines) it seems that if a purchaser buys one from Dell, or, PC World, or, whatever manufacturer, and tells them what they want to use it for, the questions become academic.- Get the manufacturer to install what you need- a little more expensive, but less trouble. The other thing is that these have there own recovery partition, installed, which to us geeks can be a headache, as they do not have a backup cd, for Vista alone.
    For the average pc customer, this is to ensure they use the phone-in, or, e-mail facilities to correct any problems, and if you know nowt about 'em, this can be a godsent, but also a nightmare, as we all know.- That is one of the reasons, I started 'messing ' with computers , some 20 years, or, so, ago.
    If someone is going to buy Vista, it appears, as with the os's before, a clean install gives less problems, and where I read various magazines, and forums, I am given to believe that an update will clean install (if you have a previous Windows os, before).
    Before buying check for the updated drivers for your equiptment - You have to learn to walk (updated drivers, antivirus, and programs, downloaded and burnt onto cd ) before you can run (Vista) and get satisfaction.:dancer

Halo,
    I am in a similar position, having a couple of computers , (and usually one to repair , underneath my table, and reluctant to lose this old computer, as I have so much to transfer, but , I will, oneday. Like yourself, I need a stable version to keep - but I also use it for repairs to other machine's (hard drive's, testing ram, and other parts, - save a lot of time, and I only get moaned at a little by her who must be obeyed, wheras if I set up a prper test area, I would be hung,drawn, and quartered ) It is an out of hand hobby.
    Goran_P
    If those links help you to find drivers, updates, or, just helpful information, to consider Vista, If, and , when, you are able/ready, then that is very satisfying. Watch for Studiot's input, because he , no doubt, will get all the technical bumf , as and when he is ready, and I am sure Halo will give help, if you post a queery.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Incidently, who is brave enough to add partitions to a manufacturers pc, like the one from pc world, which has a recovery partition, when no Vista cd is available.
    I have found a partition manager that is said to be for Vista , but I have not got it on my own drive yet , to try, as a family member has, and wants to add XP- I talked them out of getting rid of Vista, by repairing their old one, so they can get used to Vista, but I know they will come back and ask me to do it.
    Any help on that.

19. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi Halo,

Flattering to be missed when away for the weekend. I’m afraid the response of pc users in the South West is one of deafening disinterest as far as Vista is concerned. Most people buy a computer and accept whatever OS comes with it. When it stops doing whatever or the repair bills get to high they buy another.

We don’t supply many systems these days, usually Acer when we do. There used to be a steady supply of lads interested in specials but these seem to have moved on to other games. We recommend most standard buyers to Dell and offer a setup and tuning package. Most of the business about seems to be repair and maintenance, with people expecting their XP to go on for a while yet. I also think that so many people have had enough trouble mastering XP, or at least learning the basics, that they are genuinely afraid of the new.

The South West has a higher than average percentage of small businesses compared to large ones and the situations is much the same in the business sector down here, composed as it is largely of farmers, hoteliers and service suppliers.

I suppose the current distribution is Vista 1% - 2%, Windows 9x 10%, Windows 2000 -- 25% and XP the rest.

It remains to be seen how Vista will integrate as a workstation workhorse in larger establishments.

Studio T

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From what I can see, Studiot, similar story around me.
    Everybody seems literally scared to buy/instal Vista, or , buy a machine with it on.
    No help on that partition , then ?
    I suppose I will have to get that spare hard drive, and experiment.
    When I do , I will post the results.
    Dealing with Dells, I remember some years ago, when first starting with HyperOs, and partition magic, I did it with Dell's partition - but they did have recovery discs, which, incidently, would not work after I formatted, and forgot to add sys to format !
    I leaned that one the hard way.- had to buy another Operating system.
    Trouble is Vista doesn't like partition magic- so it's a dilemma- hace to try cute partition manager, first, and see how it goes.

21. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi Baklogic

We are all feeling our way with the new so swopping experiences is a good idea.

Studio T

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I agree, Studiot. I haven't your technical ability with the old, as my experiences have come the hard way, self taught, but the new might give me a chance to catch up a bit, even if it still comes the hard way.
    I hate to be beaten , by a snag, and will spend hours, sometimes days, until I find the answer, and then feel I have achieved something.
    Vista is the new challenge.

23. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Only recommended if you have SATA drives and not say one of each. I couldn't get my IDE XP to work with Vista on the SATA, always booted to XP so I did the unplugging dance to the point I killed my IDE by doing it this way.

I've quintuple booted with x86/64 XP/Vista with Longhorn server thrown in out of curiosity and never had a problem. The main thing here to watch out for is installing an older Win OS after a newer one. It can be done as there are guides out there and it works for the most part except on the newest Vists specific hardware as you pointed out.

Halo says, do your homework boys and girls.;)

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks for that info, audiedoggie. My previous use of HyperOs, and partition magic really spoilt me, and made me lazy, and for that method, you are advised to start with the oldest system, but because Vista wants the C: Drive, and XP is already setup there, and copied, and backed up on that same hard drive, I have no wish to reinstall everything, so as I said I don't wish to mess up my XP which is already setup, and partitioned on the first hard drive. I know there is software to change the boot of Vista, and I have it all ready, but if Vista does a wobbly, ,it could take ages to sort it out, as it has all these stop working resaons that need to be overcome.
    You see, no one has yet replied about the partition already there on a shop/Dell/PC World sold pc. -Obviously,I am not the only wary one, on this.
    From what I remember, the partition is moved to the end of the disk, but it is a long while since I did that on a Dell - I assume the others are similar, so I will have to experiment-
    When Microsoft allows the disc to be sold with the computer from the likes of DEll, and PC World, then it will be easier.
    As I have my own Vista to put on , I could probably use it to reinstall, but I don't want to take that chance, on someone else's computer, until I am sure.
    P C World only have a backup partition, no recovery cd ! (it might be so easy, but I am going to use linux on cd to scan the drives, to tell me what is on them, before I do anything anyway) -Dell always had a recovery cd -

25. DavidGP

StudioT

Thanks for the insight into your experiences, makes sence alot of it in many especially small businesses wanting to stick with tried and tested and TBH I dont blame them at all.

Migrating to Vista possibly is for a time when a new PC is needed for many, but my experiences and what formed the basis of a few senarios from the vista beta testing was having friends, relitives try out the new menus and more so IE7 and the ribbon, I know my friends and folks wanted the old drop down menus back.

As a workhorse in large establishments, well apart from a few who I cannot remember off hand many I doubt will fully migrate if they do it would likely be next year or beyond, by that time the next OS will be on the cards for a 2010-12 release so will they thing the investment is warranted? I dont think so and I know the Gov dept I work for will not migrate fully to Vista, they are only just getting to grips with XP!!! ( too much old hardware software to update to the likes of Vista )

26. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I agree, with Halo, Microsoft are going to find this a hard sell, and the reasons he gives are typical - Vista is a long way off ready for all.
    I was reading an article the other day, by a Gorden Laing, of Personal Computer World magazine,(MAY 2007 ISSUE) where he has done some test installs, with 975x motheboards, and there can be a problem with recognising the dvd rom- and Vista stopping installing, because it cannot recognise the controller, on the motherboard, and had to finish installing with an external usb dvd drive.
    Although Vista has got plenty of drivers, some that it has not can cause problems installing.
    He writes about ASUS P5W Deluxe, which apparently uses the ICH7R chipset for sata disks, and an additional Jmicron controller for older parallel and dvd drives, and further Raid options, where he found Vista hangs, after a few minutes, seemingly not able to find the dvd drive it started from.
    So, it seems that it is preferable to have the latest Bios, as this might have the drivers Vista lacks-and the latest firmware for Jmicron controller.He describes how he used the secondary IDE connector, to successfully install Vista, and to be able to access the dvd rom drive, after updating Bios.
    It would seem that the time has come to get those sata dvd drives for the least trouble with installation of Vista

27. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I have one small business client in Exeter who bought a laptop complete with Vista. So he tried to upgrade the office sytem to Vista as well, with total loss of functionality. Not good for business (his not mine).

Studio T

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not smart for a business to upgrade so soon. Someone should lynch the IT guy. Businesses are about what works, not whats new. Downtime costs money.

For a business to upgrade to a "bleeding edge" OS with still immature drivers, somewhat limited compatibility, and considerably higher overheard is ludicirous.

Wait, no. Thats just stupid.

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A shame, too. Microsoft has to realize that they are a major contributer to the insecurity in computing worldwide. The quicker XP is retired, the better things will be in that regards. I honestly feel that not running as root is going to be a huge boon in that regards.

My two cents.

30. DavidGP

I didnt mean to say that Vista is not ready or imply it wasnt, ok in some respects its not but as a whole it is ready in my opinion and luckily I have had chance to have been using it for nearly over a year, the main issues are 3rd parties and them not being ready.

Which in relation to the 3rd parties and large corporates I do believe unless your upgrading the whole of your IT then its foolhardy to merge older systems with a new OS, especially one that incorporates much more security blocks than that of XP, its not going to work well, as I metioned even XP has issues with where I work and we have full backing of Microsoft, sadly its estimated to in final cost be running at £12.4bn ( $25bn ) to upgrade a whole Gov dept.

BUT for the home or new business user I believe if your getting new hardware, then its perfect, I have no issues with the OS at all... I find it easier to use and navigate than XP and has alot of feedback to the user on errors and glitches.

31. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Win NT4 fintegrated into NT3, Novell and other networks without too many problems.
    Win2000 integrated OK in its turn, in fact integrated is the wrong word as 2000 provided many organisations with their first long periods of stable networking and was priced so that workstations could be upgraded wholeesale at reasonable cost. Also the OS was written so that it would happily perform on most existing hardware.

Win XP cheerfully replaced 2000 and worked alongside it.

The worry for IT procurement is that all the signs suggest Vista will not do this.
    Added to which few organisations have applications that their current mix of Windows will not cope with.

After all who wants a racehorse that will only run on Fridays and only on certain courses and only with 'certified jockeys'?

Studio T

32. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, not immediately, but it will. There arent enough changes in the OS to suggest otherwise. Vista is not a brand new OS, its an upgrade, like win2000 to XP. It will take time to mature, like any OS, then it will be ready for businesses.

This is no different than businesses who use Linux, steer clear of Bleeding Edge distros. Tried and true> New toy.

33. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi, all.
    Well I am in the throws of getting Vista going, and I never rush things.
    Partitioning is even simper than XP, and can be done on the hoof.
    Vista installs very easily.
    I set up 1 partition, initially, and , once Vista installed , I went straight to create partiton- , and created three more.
    Now, I think that unless Dell, or, another manfacture install them, it could be hard work for a novice.
    I had previously saved driver updates to install - I had to go through motherboard drivers carefully, and pick the driver to install, and Vista asked me to retry in compatability mode on two of them, and clicking yes, it installed o.k- played up a bit, and had to start in safe mode, but then it restarted o.k
    Bit of a pain though, unless motherboard drivers come on disc for a novicw, and probsbly a nightmare for IT people who try to update on older sytems- I would say to them- definitely wait, and think about complete new systems, from motherboard upwards.
    I will not chance having to reinstall everytime Vista decides not to boot- it is not worth that aggrovation.
    I have HyperOs 2007VEGeek, the Vista copier I was waiting for, and as soon as I have finished registering, and all possible drivers, I will copy it to another partition, and back it up, on C;Drive. (info@hyperossystems.co.uk)
    I will come back when cloned and all drivers sorted.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  34. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well, I installed Vista64, (Ultimate edition)and that was possibly why I had a few extra niggles.
    Successfully cloned Vista , save a copy, and re-installed to another partition - So, until something free comes along, I would recommend the HyperOs to clone Vista, and run cloned copies of XP, ON THE SAME COMPUTER.
    17 Updates came along, and an updated nVidia driver for my graphics card was include from Microsofts updates.
    Vista scores your components, to tell you if your computer is going to give you the full benifits of aero.- score less than 3, and you will not get full benifits, and its the lowest scoring component that decides the score- if the lowest is 2.4, then its 2.4 - even if the rest score 4.5, or, higher.
    Adata 667 scored in the 4.5's (4gb ram !)
    My 6200le-tc 256, scored 2.4.
    So, it will be an expensive operating system. Once you play around with it, it is a nice system, even 64 version - but if you have XP Pro, then you can afford to wait, or, not bother- depending on your pocket.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds