Magic printer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJJIrish05, May 25, 2007.

1. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Ok... I am utterly conffused..... confused confused confused confused confused

So at my office we have this printer, lets call it magicPrinter, this printer is NOT shared, but it is connected to our router because we plan on sharing it for other uses in the near future.

We also have another printer, lets call it frontDeskPrinter, this is obviously the printer that our front desk secretary prints to.

Now normally the frontDeskPrinter works just fine. Except when we plug the magicPrinter ethernet in. Then a few hours later or so everything that the front desk secretary trys to print to the frontDeskPrinter, gets printed at the magicPrinter instead.

Now i'm only an IT intern so I really have absolutely no idea how this is even possible. How can the front desk secretary be printing to a printer that is NOT shared?

Any advice on any possible reason this happens and/or how to fix this would be amazing...

I have unplugged the magicPrinter's eithernet cable so it should be short term fix for the secretarys, but eventually I need to plug it back in and have it shared so others can start using the magicPrinter...

Thanks!

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

does it have an internal or external jetdirect? might want to log into the jetdirect and check the settings in there.

3. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ya... i dont know much about printers other than the fact that i hate them...

so what is jetdirect? how do i log into it? and once i do what do i want the settings to be?

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You need to set the printer that you want to use to default printer.
    When you want to print, , go to file print, and up the top you should see the name of the printer, and this is in a dropdown tab, if you want to print to a different printer to the one shewen in the tab, click the tab, and click on the other printer, before printing.

5. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

no.... thats not it.... front desk computers are set to print on the frontDeskPrinter..... but for some unknown reason they are printing to the magicPrinter.....

the magicPrinter isn't even shared.... so even if i wanted to i shouldn't be able to print to the magicPrinter..... the front desk computers are not and never have been set up to print at the magicPrinter..... but somehow they are....

6. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

is everyone else just as conffused as i am? lol

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It does sound a bit different, but ethernet is a fast connection, and it could be something to do with thatWhen a printer is connected to a computer, and recognised by the operating system, - if you have set up the driver, it will be in the printers folder.
    It can be worth double clicking the magic printer, and , for now, choose properties, advanced, and see if it has a setting, like my officejet has which says, always available, and available from and time slots - if so, then put a time when the secretary is not working (say 8 pm to 6 am)

8. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

The problem with that is the printer is connected to a public computer which we want guests to be able to use freely.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I can only say that if the magic printer manual does not cover this issue, then I would contact the manufacturer.
    From what I have seen around, it should be reasonably straight forward, but done through the magic printers software.
    I am sorry I cannot offer more , or better solutions.
    If you give the model of the printers, I will search for more information.

10. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Its an HP LaserJet 4250 PCL 6..... I suppose I can try and hunt down the manual. But we have like thousands of those and they aren't organized at all..... So when I get a chance i'll attempt to look for the manual, lol

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Two threads about the same issue .....bad form.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks TimW, I see it now-this thread should be closed

15. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

it may be the same printer.... but I am dealing two different issues here..... one is that I can't print on this printer.... and the other issue HERE is that its printing to this printer somehow when i don't want it to...... so its two different issues that arrose at two different times that hopefully have two different answers.....

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Both are printer issues, and as you have just said - the same printer.
    Please understand that running two threads can lead to duplicate postings, and if put into one, all those trying to help can see the problems, and one of us might just tumble the connection.
    Please now, in a reply to your other thread, mention this issue.

17. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Ok, I figured out the answer to this..... The ip's on both the printers were the same..... so for some reason they were going to the other one.....

and look i was right.... even though i had two problems with the same printer they were completely unrelated!!!!

so i have this one fixed.... but not my other one..... told you.....

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well done. I hope the other thread will sort you out now.Same ip's o.k.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds