Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmcneil, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcneil

cmcneil Private E-2

I need help!! I am now about 18 hours in on day 2 and I just found Major Geeks. Cool resource maybe someone has been through this. I bought a HP Media Center M8000N desk top. I have reinstalled windows xp over the totally useless Vista system. I can not use my GIS software with Vista. Now that I have made the leap I can not seem to find the drivers I need from HP or Asus (Motherboard manufacturer). The motherboard is a Asus M2N68-LA
    The devise manager is giving these issues
    eHome infared transceiver
    Multimedia video controller
    PCI Simple Communications Controller
    PCI Device
    other PCI bridge Device
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatable)
    Many many thankyou's!!!!!!!

2. nikolokolus

nikolokolus Private E-2

Since it appears that HP is only providing support for Vista in the form of drivers, et. al. for this system you will probably need to go to Nvidia's website and download their motherboard drivers (your system uses the nForce 430 chipset), you need to go to realtek's website to get audio drivers, go to the manufacturer's website to get modem drivers.

These links might get you started.
    Windows XP motherboard drivers
    Vista drivers w/ integrated graphics
    Windows XP graphics drivers

you might be in a bit of a pickle when it comes to the onboard video since it seems that nvidia is only offering vista drivers for your specific chipset with onboard video (as noted above), you have a couple of options: try installing the xp chipset drivers, followed by the xp vga drivers and see if it will recognize your onboard video, your other option is to maybe get a discreet graphics card? As for using vista drivers in an XP system I'm pretty sure that won't work, but if all else fails you could give it a go (I don't own vista so I'm not too sure about backward compatibility issues, hopefully someone with direct knowledge can help answer that question.)

The infrared tranceiver is a windows XP media center fucntion that may not work on windows XP, but you can go here for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f1-0ac9-433b-b488-4cab82f31dc8&DisplayLang=en
    you might even get lucky and get it to work?

Best of luck

3. MrJohnBravo

MrJohnBravo Private E-2

I have the same issue. Only with an HP 6000n and am posting success information here because I cannot find any info any where else.
    Anyway the links nikolokolus provided do work for the M2N68-LA under XP . In addition I thought I would add a link to the High Def Audio Driver. According to the HP website the audio chipset is the ALC 888 . This is the link to their driver dl page for HD Audio drivers for their chipsets.

After installing that driver the audio seems to be working fine. I still haven't figured out which modem they are using but when I do I will post the link to the driver here if possible.

This is damned irritating of HP to only provide links to the VISTA drivers. Of course assuming HP would do anything that might be considered good for the customer is my own stupidity i guess.

Oh and just in case anyone wonders the M2N68-LA isn't even listed on the ASUS website so they are to blame too.

Mr Johnathan Bravo

--Ohhh Mama!!--

4. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Hi. I just ordered a Pavilion Media Center m8100e and the HP tech support person indicated it has a M2N68-LA too.

I too have no desire to run Vista and will be running XP Professional. Based on the posts by nikolokolus and MrJohnBravo I’ve downloaded the driver for the nForce 430 chipset, the NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS video card, and the Realtek ALC888 audio driver.

The HP Web page indicates the onboard LAN is PCI Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps. Does this require a separate driver? Any other drivers I need?

Also, any ideas how to get any of the useful software that comes pre-loaded on the Vista drive off and on to XP?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions/experience.

5. tjs704

tjs704 Private E-2

I downloaded this file from the NVIDIA website to correct the problem of not being able to access the internet after I cleaned Vista out of a HP Pavilion 6000n....(8.26_11.09_nforce_winxp_english.exe)

I was looking at my husband's computer, and saw he was running a NVIDIA NForce Networking controller..and he runs Windows XP Media Center Edition...I figure I got nothing else to lose..so I started running searches for this type of file..and found it...I put it on CD and installed it..and set back up my cpu on our network..and it worked.
    I can't get drivers for the video controller, tho..haven't stumbled across them yet....but at least I'm in business again for the time being..

Vista is a bunch of crap!!

I hope this helps you out, somewhat...

6. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Tjs704 – thanks for the additional feedback. It looks like you installed the motherboard driver that nikolokolus recommended, and it worked for you too - great! Did you try installing the sound driver that MrJohnBravo recommended?

My 8100e has a “free” upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, so I’m going to try their standard driver.

Did you need a driver for the LightScribe SuperMulti DVD Drive? Did your system come with some software to use it, and if so how did you get it off of Visa and on to XP?

I know Microsoft’s secret plan with Vista. They force manufacturers (like HP, Dell, etc.) to only ship with and charge for Vista, then because some people (like me and you) don’t want it they also get us to buy XP Professional – making extra money!

7. tjs704

tjs704 Private E-2

No, I didn't, I'd disabled my onboard sound long before, because it wouldn't run right with Sonar 6 Producer Edition..I've got a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS gamer card, that was my soundcard on my old cpu, and had used in on the new one..and so I installed the newest driver I had for it..had no trouble getting that to work. The only problem I've got left, if you could call it a problem since I'm not having trouble reading my screen are the video drivers for NVIDIA 430..the installation hangs up..
    Oh, fwiw, I'd formatted my drive and clean installed Windows XP Home Edition after I got rid of Vista.

It seems you just gotta keep stumbling around in the dark until you hit upon the right files...like the rest, I checked Asus' home site first, and was batting zero.
    Then I kept running around like a chicken with my head cut off. LOL!

I agree...Microsoft is making killer money..and most people are left out in the cold...I found this board on one of the many searches I was doing trying to figure out what to do to get back online..and the info was MUCH appreciated..that was one of the main reasons I put up a post....maybe it will help someone else.

*Edit*
    On the driver for Lightscribe software, I went to the LightScribe Website..BUT, and here's the kicker..you've got to have the CD burning software with the capability in it, so you can set up your template to use Lightscribe..in other words the labeling software has got to include this feature..I did download and install the Lightscribe software, but wont' be able to use it until I get matching software..if that makes any sense at all.

Also, no, I was unable to save any software off the original installation...and so I lost everything..but that is probably for the best..as the software on the recovery disk was for VISTA anyway. :/

8. rlaw77

rlaw77 Private E-2

Hi,
    Stumbled across this forum trying to find the drivers to re-load XP over Vista on my HP Pavilion A1609N - Basically 'Canadian version' of A6000N i believe with M2N68-LA Asus Motherboard. I have everything working now - well except lightscribe - but not using it at this point. Hope this helps anyone else trying to get XP on these boxes.
    BTW: reformatting was a pain - after deleting 'Vista' partitions WinXP setup said it couldn't format before that for some reason so had to use a parition manager to create NTFS partition then worked smoothly.

(links working as of 07/09/07)
    Not too sure of which 8.26 driver worked for Chipset - but pretty confident the one listed is correct. If not, use other one.

8.26_11.09_nforce_winxp_english.exe | NVidia LAN and others
    http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=8

8.26_nforce_winxp_international.exe | nForce 430/410 Chipset - Win XP
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_430_410_winxp32_8.26.html

94.24_forceware_winxp_english_whql.exe | video
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

089665.zip | Conexant rd01-d850 Modem Driver
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=487038

Audio:
    MS HD / Realtek Audio Drivers - had the MS one from an earlier HP I re-loaded XP on - had to call Microsoft for it.

KB888111_Supported_OS_All_Languages.zip | MS HD Audio Driver
    Also -
    WDM_R161.zip | from Realtek I think

Installed both these drivers - have sound anyway :) not sure if all components of high-definition audio working or not.

9. vectorz

vectorz Private E-2

The links that rlaw posted should cover pretty much every driver aspect, as I've done this on my Compaq with the M2N68-LA motherboard. The network driver is build into the nforce executable so it'll automatically install for you. The forceware driver will then cover your VGA. The modem is a seperate driver that rlaw linked to driverguide, it works.

The only problems I have on my computer now:

1.) I have 1 unknown device in device manager. I assume it's something to do with the media reader or usb controller because when I plug in flash drives, the system will not read it. It won't even recognize a device is plugged in (although my usb keyboard works fine). If anyone has any advice in regards to this, it would be much appreciated.

2.) SHutdowns do not function properly. SHutdown will take me out of the OS to a black screen which I would then have to do a hard power off (power button 10 secs).

10. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Tjs740 – I’m hoping to just use the on-board sound (I still only have 2 speakers :eek:). Based on MrJohnBravo and rlaw77 it looks like the Realtek driver should work.

You’re using XP Home? I didn’t think XP Home supported a multi-processor environment (i.e. you will only get to use one of the processors in the dual core). Does your system (using the Windows Task Manager) come up showing 2 processors or 1? I bought (and haven’t opened yet) XP Professional – primarily because of the multi-processor thing.

I think I understand what you are saying with the LightScribe driver and software. I wasn’t sure what was on the Vista disk (a trial or full version of something I assume). I’m making up a list of question to ask HP and I’ll see what they say.

rlaw77 – thanks for the confirmation about the drivers. Is there a link for the Microsoft driver, or do you have to ask for it? It looks like the Realktek driver you listed is for R1.61 and MrJohnBravo linked to R1.70. Maybe it’s time to upgrade drivers?

vectorz – thanks for the confirmation about the drivers. I think I have the same 15-in-1 media reader thing in my computer as you do. I was hoping it didn’t require a driver, but maybe it does? Hopefully someone that has it can shed some light on the subject.

Based on the post count of the members here it looks like we’re all just working our way through this Visa to XP thing. Hopefully we’ll have enough information posted here so everyone has a fully functional PC running under XP. :)

11. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

I found some XP LightScribe stuff.

I found this link on the HP Web site for the LightScribe System software.

I also found this generic driver for the LightScribe system software on lightscribe.com.

I don’t know which would be the better one to use. Any ideas?

12. Leo Renard

Leo Renard Private E-2

Hey, I am also an "m8000n" HP Pavilion user. I found all the drivers for Windows XP for this system. I've uploaded them all for your conveinience, too.

http://fetch.stoleyour.net/m8000n/

Enjoy.

- Leo Renard

13. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Great informative, and researched, posts from you Guys and Gals. :major
    This is what MajorGeeks is all about. :cool
    Makes very interesting reading although I am not in that position (still running XP Pro). ;)
    Bazza

PS: 1540+ reads indicate lots of MG'ers are interested too. :D Baz

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  14. ksmith641

ksmith641 Private E-2

With the info from the posts here I almost have my HP a6110n XP compatible. Thank you all so much! The last hurdle is the DVD drive (ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L). I have down loaded the previously mention lightscribe files, i have deleted the driver and allowed xp to reinstall the driver, i have uninstalled the HP DLA program to let XP native burning take control, i have reinstalled a different HP DLA version. Through these steps i get the error message "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file". I have tried different files and folders with the same message occuring. When i tried to format a blank dvd using the HP DLA it said the media was read only, and i tried three different brands of media. The drive reads a data dvd fine. Please help?!

15. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

I finally got my m8100e last weekend (HP and FedEx were great – HP built and shipped my system early and FedEx even delivered on Saturday!). I got the m8100e because the motherboard in my old HP 542 died, so I had to get a new computer.

The machine came with the system box, keyboard, mouse, and miscellaneous other small pieces of equipment. No media of any kind was enclosed! I opened the cover on the system box and verified the hardware and noticed that the motherboard has been upgraded slightly to the Narra2. I think they just updated the Audio CODEC from the ALC888 to the ALC888S, though there may be other differences.

Here’s my hardware configuration:
    - AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 5200+ dual-core - 2.6GHz
    - 2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
    - FREE UPGRADE! 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, DVI-I, TV-out, HDMI
    - 500GB RAID 1 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs)
    - LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    - 16x max. DVD-ROM
    - 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video
    - ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
    - Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
    - HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse

I verified that the TV Tuner is the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800. Note: When I got the box last week there wasn’t any support for it on their site, but later this week they updated the site with drivers for XP. I haven’t downloaded them yet, but I don’t expect any difficulties since they indicate they support XP directly.

I also noticed that both of my DVD drives are SATA drives – nice. :)

Even though I planned to upgrade to XP, I first booted under Vista to check out the system to make sure it was OK. After running through diagnostics and checking the BIOS I was confident that everything hardwarewise was OK. Before I blew away Vista, I ran the utility to create System Recovery DVDs (set of three) – just in case I couldn’t get XP to load properly (Note; The HP pre-sales technical support personnel recommend making the disks). Also, I copied the appropriate drivers on a CD:
    Motherboard (nForce430 V11.09 (MCP61)),
    Video (GeForce 8400GS Release 158.22),
    Sound (Realtek High Definition Audio Codec R1.70)

I booted off a fresh full XP Professional CD I purchased from Fry’s and after going though the blue/white screens of loading the OS it came to a status of “Starting Windows”, and immediately followed with a BSOD. :-( I tried re-booting again with the same result). Some investigations into the registers that I got indicated a problem was with the disk drives. Duh moment for me, they’re RAID and XP Professional needs the appropriate driver to use them when loading for the first time. Unfortunately, XP requires all drivers to be loaded with a floppy drive, and I didn’t have a floppy drive (wasn’t an option), or drivers for that matter. A scan at the motherboard showed that it has a connector for a floppy drive, and it also has a connector for good old IDE drives. That gave me tow options, I could try to load XP on an IDE drive and copy it over to the RAID, or install a floppy drive, and look for some drivers to make XP happy. I decided to attempt the 2nd option first.

I pulled the floppy drive and cable out of my “dead” computer and installed it without a problem. I then figured the correct drivers would be in the nForce file, so I started it up, let it extract all of the files, and then stopped the installation. I found this directory …\nForceWinXP\11.09\MCP61\IDE\WinXP\sataraid which looked promising, so I copied all of the files out of it onto my floppy.

I booted the XP DVD again, this time specifying I had a driver floppy. When it asked for the floppy I clicked OK and it said it saw a NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER and a NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller. I loaded both and continued the setup. When it hit the status of “Starting Windows” it continued without a hitch!

I blew away both partitions on my disk (HP ships with the 2nd partition to be used to restore your system), and just created one big partition. The remainder of the installation was uneventful. Once Windows was loaded I check the Device Manager and saw 5 unknown devoices: Other PCI Bridge Device, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible), Multimedia video. After loading the nForce 430 driver/software, the GeForce software/drivers and the Realtek software/driver I was down to 1 unknown: Multimedia video. I pulled the WinTV-HVR-1800 card (because I didn’t have the driver/software for it yet), and after booting I verified all devices were good (no unknown). As a side note, the audio chip was the “PCI Device”.

When running under Vista I noted that the HP configuration referenced the LightScribe site. I checked their System Software and noticed HP signed it in June 2007, so I figured I would go with their software. I loaded it and it says my drive is “ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L KH15 135”. I also loaded their free Labeler, but since I don’t have any LightScribe discs I’ll have to wait to see if it is OK. Also, I plugged my old IDE drive from my “dead” computer into my new system and it worked with only a minor change to the BIOS (tell it to boot off the RAID first and the IDE 2nd).

So, I’m now using and loading up my new XP Professional based m8100e. I seems to be a nice machine. Too bad Microsoft won’t let HP sell it with XP, but with a little work you can blow away Vista and get it running with a fresh XP load (which has a side benefit of no “bundled” packages that come “pre-installed” by HP).

I’ll add any more information I find out when I load the WinTV-HVR-1800 driver/software. Good luck to others who upgrade their machines to XP! :cool

16. tipifire

tipifire Private E-2

thanks for the help guys. I work as a tech and some business programs do not work under vista yet so I had to install winxp for a client who owns a business

17. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

It might also be wise to set up a dual-boot in the future at least. Re-format and created 2 primary partitions, one for XP and the other for Vista. Install XP first and then Vista, this way you can have both which would be more versatile and possibly beneficial. ;)

18. tipifire

tipifire Private E-2

if it was a personal computer I would proubly do this but it for a business and need computer stable but thanks for the idea. will keep info in mind

19. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Just a quick update. I downloaded the Win TV-HVR-1800 Version 3.4D1 software and drivers and re-installed the card. After following the instructions and loading the drivers and software I still don’t have any undefined devices and can watch TV on my PC.

20. rlaw77

rlaw77 Private E-2

In response to joe002's request I have put the 'US' English version of the Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver (KB888111) Here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/44739306/us.rar.html

Sorry for the late reply, have been too busy with work to check the forum - glad some people are getting use out of it though! :) FYI - the computer I HP A1609 is running flawlessly under XP.

If anyone needs another version of the driver for whatever language just email me and I will post it - have about 20 other versions but the file size makes it more awkward to post the whole thing.

21. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Rlaw77 – thanks for the driver. So far the Realtek driver and software seem to be working without a hitch, so I’ll probably stick with it. Also, according to Realtek’s README they actually pack their drivers into Microsoft’s High Definition Audio Driver package (KB88811), so the Realtek website probably provides the updates sooner. In fact I noticed that Realtek has already upgraded it twice since I installed the R1.70 driver (they just updated to R1.72 today)!

22. niggly

niggly Private E-2

Hi All,

I too have the same issues re Vista/HP on a a6000n - Asus M2N68-LA here in BC, Canada

I contacted HP and they sent me all the drivers... and not a single one loaded! :cry

I did this before with a a1720n and installed the drivers they emailed and it all worked fine - go figure!? confused

well... back to the a6000n...

Nvidia's website had the driver I needed for video and thanks to you guys (and gals) here I now have the Lan driver via:
    download drivers> Platform/ nForce Drivers/nForce 430/410/405/400> WinXP/2000

tried realtek and asus sites and got a big fat zero support - OEM puppets :boxing

My first time here so a BIG THANKS to all! :D ... I now have LAN!

Just HD Audio to figure out ... and what is PCI Simple Communications Controller? ... hmmm that would be the modem... how obvious! lol

23. niggly

niggly Private E-2

Thanks... Realtek link was my final hurdle to happiness :D

24. redfire28

redfire28 Private E-2

help.. i just bought a new computer HP m8000n wit vista on it.. and i want to put xp back on it.. i dont know how to do it.. can someone give me a step by step guide.. sorry im really a noob at these things..

25. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

redfire28 – Hi, it looks like the m8000n uses the M2N68-LA (Narra) motherboard, so you should be able to follow the posts in this thread. You’ll need a Microsoft XP Professional full DVD and license. You should be able to follow the posts that are already here to load up XP. I think my post on 7/21 is pretty complete (as recommended you should make a System Recovery DVD set before you blow away Vista). The only difference may be your video card.

26. Maup

Maup Private E-2

I am having problems grabbing my videos from my analog Sony cam.
    I have the HP m8000n with Vista and I don't really want to change it (Vista I mean), when I try to grab the video I only get the image and no sound.
    I have tried just about every program out there (Nero, Pinnacle studio 11, etc etc).
    Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance

27. JackKevorkian

JackKevorkian Private E-2

I recently bought a HP Pavillion a6110n and I got all the drivers from these links except the fax/modem driver. Also I went to Nvida page and got the 6 series graphics driver. So if any one has this computer and wants to put XP on these will work.

Audio
    ftp://152.104.238.19/pc/audio/WDM_R172a.exe
    or
    ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_R172a.exe

Video/graphics and chipset drivers
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

Lan drivers.
    ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/Driver_5673_XP_0720.zip
    or
    ftp://209.216.61.149/cn/nic/Driver_5673_XP_0720.zip

28. niggly

niggly Private E-2

redfire28
    This is the process I followed to go back to XP

***NOTES****
    I did not back up Vista but judging from other posts, it would be a good idea!
    I had a keychain memory to transfer files from the web to the computer and a second PC with web access to get to them!

someone's going to check this, right?! I am working from memory here!

Buy the right XP! Sounds silly but I bought standard XP for a Media Centre capable Vista machine... oops! But it's OK as we don't need it at work...

Set up new box... switch on... at the first boot up screen (giant HP logo), enter boot selector (I think by pressing escape on my HP) look in the bottom left hand corner

Select CD drive as boot first device

Wait for PC to contnue to load, insert XP disk, restart PC

It should now boot from the disk... or display an option to do so (so pick it! ;) )

You then (eventually) get a blue screen with installation & formatting options. I chose the full format but the quick would probably have been ok.
    If you don't select quick - then be prepared to watch a movie, it takes a while to format 250GB+ - I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels :D

Follow all the prompts that XP throws at you

At this point you should have a working pc... but with hidden issues
    To find out what they are go into Start > Settings > control panel > system > Hardware > Device Manager ... anything with a yellow question mark requires attention

Get the drivers (try the links in other posts) and install them one at a time & reboot after each. I don't think it matters which you fix first

Good luck!

29. redfire28

redfire28 Private E-2

thanks a lot for your reply..

30. Cyber Guy

Cyber Guy Private E-2

I am new to this forum. I just received a Pavillion 1737c from Fry's and have found roo many problems with Vista to use it. Lightning fried my last old faithful XP Pro system.

After opening the case I discovered it had an IDE bus system so I plugged in my drive from the old system and it came up with a message to hit escape to get the boot screen or something like that. I selected the old drive from that screen and it booted right up in XP Pro after a series of messages about missing cards and such.

Just to make sure, I rebooted and selected the new SATA drive from the boot screen and it booted right up in Vista. Now after that thrilling discovery I thought I had it made, wrong.

I live way out in the country and can't get any broadband connection but Satellite which runs off the LAN @ 100Mb, that was the first thing that didn't work. I dug around for the cause of this and discovered there were no drivers at all on the LAN. Then the audio wasn't detected by Sonar 4 so I am in need of XP drivers for this Vista designed mobo for everything. Thanks Cyber

31. rlaw77

rlaw77 Private E-2

Ah! I was wondering why there seemed to be a disconnect between what MS and Realtek were doing! Thanks for the info :)-

32. Jtown

Jtown Private E-2

Hey guys.. first time post. I have the 6109N and have everything up and running on XP Pro except the sound. There are several different posts for audio drivers and I'm a bit new at this. What are the best ones to go with? M2N68-LA motherboard. I see ones linked from JackKevorkian and Leo Renard but they are for diffrent models.. I assume they will work?

33. joe002

joe002 Private E-2

Jtown - I think the most current drivers for the sound chip on the M2N68-LA can be found on Realtek's site. As of today, they’re up to R1.72 (I loaded Release R1.70 without a hitch). You get the drivers and a sound panel app to configure and test your speakers with the installation package.

34. Jtown

Jtown Private E-2

Cool, thanks Joe... so I'll try that when I get home.

35. jack1986

jack1986 Private E-2

I was trying really hard to install XP professional on to the Compaq Presario PC SR5152NX with AMD Athlon 64x2 IDE hard drive.

The XP I have is supposedly the SP1 version, and I can not install the windows onto the hard drive.

I followed Joe002's instructions on July 21, 2007 earlier on this thread. Which is to install a floopy drive and have the set up program loading nVidia Raid Class Driver and nVidia nForce Storage Controller. Everything went smoothly until the computer froze when it tries to restart after loading all the necessary files.

So, I manually restart the computer and the computer goes to installing windows, and it ALWAYS freezes at 34 minutes left and that's when the install process moves to "installing windows." I must have tried this a millions times, and it always freeze at 34 minutes remaining.

Does anybody have similar problem? My friend told me that a XP SP2 will be able to load; however, I don't own an XP SP2 CD. Is there any other way to load XP SP1 on to the IDE drive on mother board that originally supports Vista. (Mother board has both SATA and IDE bands).

Please help me out!

36. bad98roadster

bad98roadster Private E-2

I'd be interested if you figure it out. I have the exact model sr5152nx and mine hangs at the 34 minute mark also. It's weird reading someone else having the exact same issue, model# and all.

37. He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim Private E-2

38. F575gtc

F575gtc Private E-2

anyone know if I could install a M8100e bios onto a hp A6109n (both Narra 2 mobos) so i can have Raid? HP disabled Raid from the factory I don't know if I can possibly flash the bios to the M8100E bios and have it run raid?

if I can where can I
    a) get a bios from the 8100e

and b) is it possible to backup a bios from a 8100e and make it into a flash to load on my pc, I work at a retail store and have acess to some display 8100's

39. july3100

july3100 Private E-2

I'm praying somone can lend me a helping hand here. My issue is
    very much along the same lines and in fact has been adressed, but, the
    driver did not work for me.
    I purchased a Compaq sr5113wm with a Asus m2n68-la motherboard
    and Vista basic on a sata drive. I installed the IDE drive from my old PC
    with XP (for obvious reasons) as a dual drive/dual boot machine. (may I suggest Vistabootpro software if anyone is contemplating doing this as it gives you a nice screen upon boot to choose your OS you wish to boot to)
    Anyhow, upon booting into XP, I had a barrage of yellow question marks. I have solved them all (with help from this thread) except the "simple communications controller". The modem is a Conexant model: rd01-d850 (even though Conexant says they do not manufacture modems/ the stamp on the modem itself says Manufacturer: Conexant) I tried installing the driver for that modem listed in this very thread, but, it did not work for me. It would not do anything at all in fact. If anyone can help me, I would very greatly appreciate it as I cannot locate the software on-line myself.
    If the software cannot be located, if I purchase and install a new modem would that solve the "simple communications controller" issue and are modems in production out-of-the-box with both Vista and XP support?
    Thanks a million for any help...I really mean it.

40. tlk

tlk Private E-2

This is a great thread.. and hate to say this but I am trying to fix machine that is running win2000. I ran through the process and installing all the drivers indicated in the thread and I am not able to get my Ethernet card to work. Actually, it is not even seen in device manager. I verified that it was on in the bios. The funny thing is that when I run the drive.exe it places the files in a directory then tries to install the drivers and completes in seconds. As if they are already installed but nothing exists in add/remove programs. Any ideas? I seem to be stuck and can't upgrade OS for other reasons.

41. cakeman777

cakeman777 Private E-2

Hey everyone, I bought a new hp from Fryz. It came with vista however i needed xp for my quickbooks 5.0 POS system. I deleted vista and installed xp, however there was no network driver or adapter, no sound, no vids. I downloaded the 3 links that the gentleman above suggested and it worked beautifully. My new hp with the xp on it now works!! Thanks again.

The first link he posted is the one that fixed my internet.

42. cad_pro

cad_pro Private E-2

Re: Great posting

Notice to all who posted,

I too recently purchased a new HP a6110n that came pre-loaded with Vista. I run some older engineering software that Vista doesn't support. After reading this thread start to finish a few different times, I have successfully reinstalled xp and my machine seems to running great. Thanks a ton for everyones great info. It really helps those of us who aren't quite on Microsofts most wanted list just yet. I had a few issues with my conversion that was similar to those already posted:

When formating the hd during the xp installation, xp would recognize more than 130gb of hard drive. Rather than use the partion manager to fix this prior to installation, I used the partion manager in xp to format the remaing space as a supplemental drive.

I am also experiencing the same audio issues as mentioned previously. I think this only because I am using an older version of xp with no service packs installed.

Then the last issue, I have the same unklnow devices showing up in the device manager that I believe is related to multi-media card reader on the front panel of the machine. I read that some one else had this same issue and has had no response.

Just wanted to share a major thanks to all those who shared this great information!!!!!

43. callcraig

callcraig Private E-2

I also have a SR5113WM. I can't get XP to finish installing. I have the NVidia drivers downloaded, but how do I install them? XP gets to the point of installing devices, and then locks up. If I let it boot from the machine instead of the disk, it asks for XP Pro disk when I put the NVidia cd in. Someone said I should install drivers from a floppy, but this machine doesn't have a floppy and the driver file is too big. HELP!!!

44. pkaufman

pkaufman Private E-2

This is a great forum, but before I mess things up, I thought I'd post. I just purchased an HP SR5130NX, which also uses the M2N68-LA motherboard. I installed the IDE drive from my older computer (has WinXP SP2 loaded on it), and while the computer has no trouble recognizing the drive when started up as Vista (using the SATA drive that came with the computer), which I select to boot from the WinXP drive, I get the black screen noting that Windows did not start up correctly and asking if I'd like to start in SAFE mode (selecting safe or normal modes just restarts the process and eventually gets me back to the same screen). Does this happen because the drivers for the M2N68 MB aren't loaded on that disk or is there another reason. I'd hate to wipe the Vista drive (I did make the recovery disks) as I'd like to be able to dual-boot, and also my WindowsXP disk is pre-SP1 (and I don't want to have to buy a newer copy when I already own a license, but I'd hate to wipe the Vista drive and not be able to load WinXP...).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Peter

45. cta

cta Private E-2

Re: Please Help A6100n Drivers for XP Pro, Per HP

Dear Tim,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

This e-mail is a follow-up to your recent Chat session with Verne K.

Tim, please find the weblinks below for the drivers for Windows XP Operating system. You need to click on the weblink to open the web page. Save the file to Desktop and then install the drivers.

Chipset driver :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

Graphics driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html

LAN driver :

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Driver/LAN/Realtek/PCI_E/2KXP/setup.exe

Audio driver :

ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_R182.exe

NOTE: The URL's above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Modem drivers :

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL13924/pv-39115-1/sp26684.exe

We wanted to be sure whether your issue is resolved completely. Incase if the issue persists, please feel free to get back to us and we will be glad to continue troubleshooting the issue.

We are committed to helping you with any questions you may have about your product.If you would like to attempt another chat interaction, please visit the following Web site:

http://www.hp.com/support/chat

We look forward to hearing from you and hope to be of future assistance.

Thank you,

Shania S

(Supervisor)

46. pkaufman

pkaufman Private E-2

Again - if one were to install WinXP, at what point would the drivers be installed?

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds