windows xp me

Discussion in 'Software' started by green_newbie, Feb 14, 2003.

1. green_newbie

green_newbie Private First Class

i am sorry if this is silly question but,
    is there a significant differance between windows me and windowsxp, i am runing windows xp and am trying to use a patch that will let me run old dos based programs but it is made for ME, any conflicts you think?

OS=Microsoft Windows XP
    CPU type=Intel Pentium IIIE ,700 MHz
    physical memory=320 MB (SDRAM)
    Hard Drive=18.6gb Western Digital
    DVD Drive=Hitach DVD - om GD 5000
    CD/rw=32xSony CD/RW CRX140E
    Mother Board=Intel SeattleII SE440bx-2

2. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

XP is designed to try and run old DOS programs.. but some just won't..... I have a few old games that I just pitched.....

I figure it was time to get new one's anyway!!

What are you trying to run??

Curtis

3. green_newbie

me

trying to run an old game called privateer, it is a game where you fly a ship around in a galaxy, there are many planets you can land on and lots of bases, it is a totally free space thing, you can fly anywhere and take all sorts of missions, there is eventually a storyline that you can follow, it is cool cause it has allot more options then most of you space games where you just have a set course you go on from game start to game end. i haven't seen a good remake to it sense, but i haven't looked hard either,

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Yup been playing Privateer a lot myself when having DOS.
    According to most places the original Privateer cannot be runned under WinXP, so either you have to install VMware or use a DOS bootdisk.

It seems the sequel Privateer2 is able to run on WindowsXP.

5. green_newbie

VMware - priv2

i clicked your link, and i am not sure what to do from there that can help me with dos, do they have free/or not free software on this site that lets you run does that i should look for or something like this. sorry if this is a dumb question but my name is green_newbie so i ask things like this.

I have priv2, or at least had, i am not sure where the disk is i sure it is somewhere. mine had bugs, i played it when i first got it and was able to beat the game and all, but then some time in the future i played it again, i would get to a certain point in the story line and then every thing would just like stop, like the next guy i was spose to talk to wouldn't be there and i could carry on the story, i didnt mess anything up in story to make this happen, cause i ran it several times and at the same place this would happen. allso i can't get it to run on winXP but i havne't jacked with it that much

6. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

WMware is a product one have to buy, that allows one to run multiple operating systems on a single computer simultanously. So you can run Linux inside Windows XP or in your case run DOS inside Windows XP.

The below image shows a Windows XP being run inside Linux :
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds