2 ? ... jpg vs. jpeg and html

Discussion in 'Software' started by ched, Feb 17, 2003.

1. ched

ched Private E-2

Actually had two questions, so I thought I'd post both in the same thread.
    (running win XP home)

1. when saving jpg files from web pages, the default extension is "jpeg" ... is there a way to edit the registry (or another method) that will make the files save with the "jpg" extension?

2. Is there a meta tag (or other method) when coding a web page that will disable the file save as option?

I've searched for solutions for both for a little bit - so I'm not just taking the easy way out by posting the question here. I guess I just haven't hit on the right keywords in the search to find the answers yet. I'll keep pluggin away unless or until someone has the answer(s) at hand.

Thanx guys and gals

Ched

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

umm, well in my experience if you upload the file as jpg then when you try to save it, it will save as a jpg. Ill go check, maybe im wrong.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

actually i have seen the opposite, even if the extension is.jpeg it will still try to save as a .jpg. Only thing i can think of would be editing the Classes root section of the registry, perhaps.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

as far as I know, those extensions are the same format. Is there any particular reason why you need the .jpg ?
    what you can do is have file extensions in your folder view to be shown. This way, when you save a file you can type in the extension and it will save it as such. And for disabling the download function.. well, there are "No right click" scripts that you can use, but they are easily circumvented. If your website is viewable by the public, then it's contents are available to everyone. The best thing you can do is watermark your pictures or put a logo on them..

5. ched

ched Private E-2

The reason for the jpg question was that by default when I save a jpg file it gives it the extension 'jpeg' which confuses some of my older programs, as well as IE when I save a web page. The code for the web pages may say src=somefile.jpg, when in fact the file name is somefile.jpeg. I'll have to do a search on the registry to see if I can find the info on that I guess.

As far as the html question, I know the no right click stuff, but as you say kodo, there is always a way around it. The reason I ask is that I've done some work as 'samples' for a couple clients then had the file copied, edited and they reused it - and claimed they didn't owe me because they put the file up by themselves. Not worth the time and money as far as legal issues go, but I just wanted to make it a little more difficult for someone to do that. I've got the no cache meta tag, but I've seen a couple pages before that no only disable the right click, but also when you did the file 'save as' - it was grayed out and not available.

One item I did find though which may help is the ability to encrypt a page, so saving it and editing it are more difficult.

Well, anyway, thank you both for your input.

Ched

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'll look around for some more stuff. Things could have changed. Perhaps there is a way. I'll post what I find. For now and in the future, I still recommend a watermark.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

do you have access to the server? are the operator of the server ? or are you having it hosted elsewhere?

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

9. ched

ched Private E-2

yep - I do watermark some of my 3d wallpapers and all, but it was more the mouseover code I used that I wanted to keep from prying eyes. I've been looking at some of those html protection packages, and may end up with one in the near future. You don't need to search though, I'm kinda snowed in today and it'll give me something to do anyway. I figure there's a javascript out there somewhere that'll do it. (if not a meta tag.) I encrypted the page for now - that'll slow em down a bit too, even if they do save to disk.

Don't have physical access to the server (domain is hosted on a local ISP server). Been reading up a bit on the .htaccess stuff you sent me links to as well - may be something I can do with the cgi stuff when I get it down a little better.

thx for all the info - I really do appreciate this site and the volumes of information you folks provide.

Ched

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds