problems with add/remove feature

Discussion in 'Software' started by texasman101, Jul 18, 2007.

1. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

ok, i have worked hard with CHASLANG to make sure i have no malware, now i have a program issue that i hope someone can help me with. when i go to add/remove it shows the programs just fine, but i have no add/remove button anymore. has anyone ever heard of that? Im running win xp home sp2. is there somethng i need to check to make that visable?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

3. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

ok here ya go
    [​IMG]

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sounds like your malware was trying to keep you from removing it.

Please try this:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type, 'regedit' (without the quotes)
    3. Hit enter (or click 'OK')
    4. In the 'Registry Editor' window, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\programname (where you substitute the name of a program without Change/Remove buttons for programname)

Here, we want to confirm that the NoChange and NoModify values are set to 0 (will read in hexadecimal as 0x00000000)

Is this the case for you?

5. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

When I Go To That, All I See Is Two Folders It Some Letters And Numbers Between { Fb386746-gdh64738-847475}. <--like This. Thast Just An Example But Im Sure You Get The Picture. Thanks

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Wow....again, can we post a screenshot?
    By the sounds of it, we went in the wrong key, but I may be mistaken.

7. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

HERES THE SCREEN THAT COMES UP
    [​IMG]

8. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

ok, did i just get scamed into showing too much? am i still being helped? wondering

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Scammed? No not at all! However, this problem is now beyond my ability to correct. (short of formatting and reinstalling Windows). From what I see, your registry needs major corrective work, which I cannot accurately advise you on.

Hopefully, someone else has better suggestions?

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

One other thing you might try. Download CCleaner here, http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

Click on the Issues button then Scan for Issues and once completed press the Fix Selected Issues button. You will be prompted to backup and helped throughout the process.

CCleaner includes a complete backup option, so in the rare event you remove something that you later need - you will have a backup to restore from.

When all the issues are fixed check and see if the Change/Remove feature is showing for your installed programs.

Steve

11. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

i think using c cleaner is where my troubles started from, i was wondering why i didnt hear from the guy that started helping me. He started helping and then just disappeared without a word. thanks all, i really do appricatye the help i been given, just wish that my computer could be all better. LOL

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would still try it, just be sure to use the backup feature.

Steve

13. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

i guess there's nothing else i can do short of reformatting huh?

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would try the CCleaner Issues fix before I did a reformat/reinstall. It's your call.

Steve

15. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

ok i did the ccleaner thing and still have this problem, is that about all i can do? isnt there a site that has missing files or such? i sure would hate to have to reformat. primarly cause i dont have a system restore disc, and this is a sony viao laptop, any help would be nice. thanks

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Well, it was a longshot but worth a try. ;)

I agree with Mada_Milty, the registry is messed up so you might be looking at formatting and reinstalling Windows. That is unless you get some other ideas, wait and see if there are any more suggestions you could try.

Mada_Milty is a good troubleshooter, he is probably right. :)

Steve

17. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

I dont know mada that well, but at least he could have said, "its beyond me" and not just leave a guy hanging. LOL. its ok though, i know i screwed my stuff up. thast what i get for messin with stuff i dont know about.

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I think the question here is how we restore the portion of the registry in the screenshot (as there should be an entry there for EVERY application), when it is completely unique to his machine! I do not know of a way, unless we have a .REG file. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

texasman101 - do you have any registry backups from before you had this problem?

If you're unsure, we can do a quick search. Here's how:

1. Hit windows key + f (or click Start --> Search)
    2. On the 'Search Results' window, click the 'All Files And Folders' link
    3. Under 'All Or Part Of The Filename', type '*.reg' (without the quotes)
    4. Under 'More Advanced Options' ensure all the 'Search...' options are checked
    5. Press the 'Search' button

Windows will now search your entire hard drive for registry backup files. We're interested in any we might have from IMMEDIATELY before this problem surfaced. It may be helpful to see the 'Date Created' field in the search results (View menu --> Choose Details - check 'Date Created' and apply settings).

You can sort the results by clicking the 'Date Created' header. You can view the contents of each file by right-clicking it, and selecting 'Edit'. We want one that contains keys in the area I had pointed to you. If you're worried about this, zip up any from before the problem, and post them here.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

He did in an above post.

20. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

ok, i removed malware, with chaslang, afterwards we disabled resore, the re enabled, so no i have no restore points before the problem

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, seein ghow you worked with Chas, is it safe to assume you turned off system restore?

Your only real hope aside from the reinstall mentioned lies within those backed up registry hives.

Edit: We posted near the same time.

I see a reinstall of windows in your future.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unless, you want to reinstall every application, so as to replace the missing registry information.

23. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

naw, i guess ill wait till i get home and download a restore disc off tyhe net from sony
    i have diAL UP ON THE LAPTOP SO IT WILL BE TOO SLOW OUT HERE IM SURE. THANKS

24. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It's not restore points we're looking for, but registry backups. I practically guarantee that you will have SOME on your computer, whether or not they will be useful to us remains to be seen.

25. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

now that sounds like i have a chance, however how do i find out if i have any?

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you turned off system restore, you deleted any useful registry backups.

27. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

even though i turned it back on?

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Turning it off deletes them, they dont undelete turning it back on.

29. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

Oh well, reformat is the answer, i thiink ill go buy a new harddrive and reformat on a clean drive, but first ill need to save some files that i have. wish me luck. never did it to a laptop before

30. texasman101

texasman101 Private E-2

however i thought taht you could never really delete any info on a hard drive once its in? am i wrong in thinking that? or is there a program that will allow you to see all info in it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds