Anyone Converted NTFS Back To Fat?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

If so, what program have did you use? Im playing with Paragon Partition manager now, it needs to be purchased as its a dos thing and thats part of the registered version.

Partition manager is a joke, tried a few others...

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yeah... I have done this with Partition Magic before.

3. Major Attitude

Odd, I guess ill try it again, PM choked it last time, XP said it wasnt valid or something similar.

4. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Used Partition Magic a few times for this.. (Couldn't live without this program) and works great..

Curtis

5. Major Attitude

1: Partition magic, unlike others I have tried refuse to work in Windows, it says this version of Windows is not supported, though the box says it is. Not a problem, I can do it from DOS...

2: In DOS it says to upgrade my ram to 64 megs. I guess 512 went unnoticed by this piece of crap. It also gave the same exact errors on my Sony machine with an Intel chip and board.

Back in the box for garage sale this year, off to buy a better program.

6. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

What version of Partition Magic do yuou have??
    Version 8 does it fine...

This is not the same as Partition Manager.. I have never used that one...

Curtis

7. Major Attitude

Oops, looks like 6.0 of Partition Commander, not magic. Made by V-Com, my bad, I think. Program blows. I bought Paragon Partition Manager and my second drive is formatting to FAT32 now as I type this.

8. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Glad to hear it worked OK....

Question, cuz I am torn, why switch back.to FAT?
    I am running NTFS and hear plus and minus for both...

Curtis.

9. Major Attitude

Same with you, I hear things ;) Primary reason I hear is NTFS offers a bit more security, but at the sacrifice of speed. Im interested in speed since I keep on and offline backups of everything. Jury is still out as I just got back up... Why do you need NTFS? Lets admit it, main reason I think people use it is Microsoft says its best when you install XP, their own documentation on their website is anything but convincing as to the reasons for using it on a home PC, or even one like mine, used frequently. If anyone would like to share their opinions or facts on this, I would like to hear it!

P.S It formatted\converted 1 80 gig in about 35 minutes and converted my primary in use drive in about 5 minutes with no damage. Both are now FAT. Case anyone wants to try what I used, heres a link to download the trial:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2812&cat=8

Im happy with it.

10. Major Attitude

My research so far is saying to use NTFS when available (wont work on older operating systems like 98)

Heres a decent article:

http://www.windows-help.net/windows2000/ntfs.html

As for me, I just like to do things when told not to, always have, so its a good experiement for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds