missing system file

Discussion in 'Software' started by tresa, Feb 18, 2003.

1. tresa

tresa Private E-2

Hi , I've recently done a xp repair trying to re lnstall a missing file-NTVDM Kernel 16-bit system module is missing,please reinstall system32 SYSTEM.DRV. I've searched for 4 days and can't find a solution. I've tried sys. restore, sfc /scannow and repairing from cd on reboot but I still get the same error message. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Tresa

2. Anthology08

Anthology08 Private E-2

What kind of computer is it? dell, HP, Gateway.....??

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if this happens on boot, then it sounds to me like something is trying to execute on boot up that is a 16bit app. some old app. Was this an XP install over an older OS? or new install?
    when did this start happening?

4. tresa

tresa Private E-2

Ot's an Hp Pavillion 40 gig 256 ram. And this had me on it but I reformatted to ntfs and installed xp,no partitions. I had no problems fo a while then backin Oct. I had to do a repair and ended up reinstalling xp on top of the 1st one. my programs were still available but I had to "dig" for them to reinstall some to the "top" layer of xp. That was fine,I learned to work around it. then Satrday I was trying to use my scanner and got that message to replace a file. I hadn't used it since the second install of xpso I don't know if it worked before Sat. or not. It was working with the first install. So I now have xp 3 layers on top of each other.Also I can't install any programs that require a disc or cd, I get that message. But programs that are already on my hd I can reinstall no problem. Tresa

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

sounds like something is seriously borked on your machine.. You can try to remove your CDROM drives from your device manager and reboot to see if it redetecs them and are functional. Other than that, ya sort of lost me..

6. Anthology08

Anthology08 Private E-2

I had a problem like your and I called up the HP and got them to send me a recover cd. I burned all my files and programs that did not come on the computer. I F-disked the computer (other word complete erases the hard-drive and re-installed XP from the recover cd, But make sure that you get the right recover cd or you will be missing drivers. Hope that helps.;)

7. hien_nguyen

hien_nguyen Private E-2

Hi , I've recently done a xp repair trying to re lnstall a missing file-NTVDM Kernel 16-bit system module is missing,please reinstall system32 SYSTEM.DRV. I've searched it iin my computerbut can't find a solution. Can you show me how install this again. Thank

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds