Replacing Vista with XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by madwethen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. madwethen

madwethen Private E-2

Hi guys,

My sister just bought a Dell desktop and wants to replace Vista with XP Home Upgrade Edition. Customer Service at Dell told her it was easy, that anybody can do it. Well, my sister is verrrry computer illiterate. My question is should she use the Upgrade edition or the full version? And should she expect any serious problems? Thanks for any advice offered!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is a pretty decent chance that the Vista CD will not count as qualifying media for an XP Upgrade.

Plus, you cant upgrade over it, so...

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I am surprised that Dell said it would be easy.
    If you have the Vista CD,for the Dell then it might not be too difficult, but if it is on a hidden partion for recovery purposes, you might find it difficult.
    Putting XP on after Vista can be very trying.
    Putting Vista on after XP- NO PROBLEM.
    As Adrenalyne says, XP comes under 'earlierversions of Windows' - and I am certain it will not 'update.'
    You will probably find it easier to use Vista's partitioning from disc management console to partition the hard drive, and, set XP up on another partition- Dual boot setup.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Nope sadly you cannot use the XP Home Upgrade CD to upgrade Vista, as Vista is a newer OS, so in the eyes of windows versions its a downgrade*

You will be able to install a Full XP version once as mentioned above you have deleted the Vista partition, recreated it and formatted with the XP CD, but BIG word of warning, as many OEMs are using hardware developed specifically for Vista, there may not be drivers or ever will be for things like WiFi, Sound, LAN, this is not a Microsoft issue, its the 3rd party hardware makers that decided this, as technology moves forward so backwards compatabilty is lost at times and they decided not to write drivers for anything but Vista.

*yes no need to enter the smart remark to that comment as been there, read it and really dont care, keep on topic.. cheers

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

6. Radiozero

Radiozero Private E-2

I bought a new Sony Vaio with Vista home premuim. In Dos is reformatted the HDD to NSTF, and install XP home. The problem i am having is that all the driver support Sony provides asks for Vista - the os i removed. I really want to run XP, but i cant even find a driver for my Ethernet controller. What should i do?

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

As was stated above,

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would set up another partition, and reinstall Vista on that partition, and dual boot until you find compatable drivers, or, alternatives.

Microsoft Or, Wikepedia, have lists of compatable programs, and software.I did a reply to post by Studiot, a few weeks ago, giving several links.

9. madwethen

madwethen Private E-2

Thanks to all of you for your expert advice. Sounds like replacing Vista with XP is definitely not a task for a novice. My sister has decided to send the Dell back and pay Best Buy to upgrade her old pc (which has Win ME) to XP along with additional memory. She should be good to go for a couple more years hopefully.

Thanks again for all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds