Changing the name for admin.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goran.P, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I want to sell my comp,and want to change the curent name of the admin(me),with the new one(the customer).How to do this?
    Thanks for your answers in advace!!;)

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I presume you mean the 'registered owner'. this can be found in the registry at

HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/NT/currentversion.

the keys to edit are

RegisteredOwner
    RegisteredOrganisation

Normal user accounts are changed in the usual way through the control panel.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

When selling a PC, it's best to reformat the hard drive and install a 'fresh' copy of Windows, using the buyer's name. Just be sure to back up anything you might want to keep first; music, photos, documents, whatever.....

hd2k

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I keep nothing on my hard disk,cos I have 3x 2GB sticks,and rest is on my CD's.And there is nothing wrong with my OS,run smoothly.I have some games and apps,and I don't want to delete them cos they can rise the price of the comp.
    If I change the owners name,my documents will be change too?(I mean the name)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, you can cahnge the name of the owner, but the folder name remains the same, unless you make a new user account.

Vista is an exception to that rule.

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

So,if I create a new account and give him admin account,I can delete mine?
    Than I presume the folder will be erased form the comp.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

So to resume,the first thing I do is to change the name in registry,than create an account with admin privileges delete mine ...and that's it,right?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Only need to change the registry for registered to info. Otherwise, make a new admin account with the desired name, then log into it and delete your old account. Do not opt to save files.

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Thank You,ADRYNALYNE.;)

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Actually it's slighty more complicated.

I service quite a few second hand machines and for example Sally now has a machine that used to belong to Jack.

The original Jack acount has been deleted and a new Sally account created.
    So at the Windows logon screen you now log on to Sally, not Jack. Just as required.

However at odd moments the old 'Jack's computer' resurfaces because Jack is stored in the registry as I noted. This is set when Windows is first started after it is installed.

Many customers ask me to change this.

12. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

So what I said is correct,right?(the first thing I do is to change the name in registry,than create an account with admin privileges delete mine)

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Correct. Not sure why studiot is trying to make this complicated. Give them reinstall media to use themselves if they want a squeeky clean system after that. Most people don't bother when selling their machines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds