Joining video files

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I have 2 files in .mkv format (part A and part B) and I want to join them into one seamless file for non-stop playback. They're both about 250mb so, when joined, they'll fit on a CD. I looked at Kate's here at MG, and it doesn't support .mkv files... It seems that this .mkv media format (Matroska, from the Russkies I guess ;) ) is kind of obscure and there's not alot supporting software available, at least not for free. If nothing else, I could probably convert 'em, one at a time, to AVI's or MPEG's and then join the 2 resulting files. If anyone knows of some free .mkv joining apps, please post a link or something!!! Many thanks in advance!

hd2k

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

3. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

.mkv is only a containor like .zip inside can be an .AVI or .mpeg or any other format.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Does that mean that I can unzip it with 7zip or TUGZip? I ended up doing something else with these MKV files (read further) but suddenly I'm finding this confusing confused
    Shanem... thanx for the links. I saw the same thing yesterday, but I think I found out it was a trial or something... there was some reason why I didn't download it, but can't remember what it is..... I ended up using Prism Video Converter (link: http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html) to convert the files to AVI, and then joined 'em with VirtualDub. MajorGeeks should consider adding Prism to the MultiMedia downloads. It's free, and it works great and will convert just about any media file format to just about any other format, and it's EASY to use. I know there's SUPER and MediaCoder and some others, but Prism (IMO) is alot easier to use and just more user friendly... anyone who has a need to convert files, and wants to do it easily should look at Prism. Its from the same folks that brought us ExpressBurn, the burning program.....

hd2k

5. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

I'm sorry Hopper, it was late last night when I posted and the resulting post was wrong.

I meant to say that mkv is only a containor like AVI and can hold many formats.

I know that the Haali Media Splitter will encode the .mkv files and can be found in Zoom Player here. I think it's direct show based so WMP if set up properly will also play the files. As for working with them you seem to have found a good converter.

I think you have to convert to AVI to work with them properly anyway. I will look into it as I am sure you will because now I am interested.

Again, sorry for the stupid post before. :eek:

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

No sweat... $h!+ happens ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds