Computer freezing could it be software like

Discussion in 'Software' started by foofighters, Jul 25, 2007.

1. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

I just spent last few days in the malware threads with no luck. The person who helped me said he thinks its not a malware problem so i should post in the hardware/software areas. Im stumped. I havent added anything new to my computer. I use PDMarg Recorder 5.3 everyday to tape favorite Sirius radio show and the covert files to MP3 with BladeEnc 0.94. Recently BladeEnc stopped working giving me error saying:
    Run-Time error '62':
    input past end of file

This all started happening when my computer started freezing on firday afternoon. I dont know what do now?

Here is thread to malware:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132701

2. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

My first guess is heat problems. The Machine Check Exception is when the processor gets some bad information and computes it wrong. First thing i would do is pop the side off your case and see if that helps any. I dunno when the last time you vacuumed out the inside of your case but it won't hurt. Let me know if this fixes anythign.

3. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

I will try but its been freezing like after five minutes of use sometimes. And sometimes after hours of use. Also are you familiar with a program called BladeEnc? It encodes wav.s into mp3s. I was using it for over two years with no problems but now when i drop a file into the computer freezes.

4. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Reinstall the program and give it a try, make sure it's fully updated with the latest patches.

Have you tried taking the side of the case off?

5. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

Yes i took off side of case and cleaned it all out. I reinstalled bladeenc same result. So i went and grabbed a program that converts wav to mp3 called smartwav converter by smartsoft. Plugged in my files to convert to mp3 and freeze again. Im trying to remember if from the very beginning of my freezing problem, did it all start when i tried to use this kind of program? My avg had detected a trojan so i kinda assumed it was malware. Now i just dont know why my system wont run a simple converter program without freezing. I know for sure it has frozen as well when im not trying to run that program too. What now?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes , programs rely on a @trojan@ style of file to run, and I have seen this happen with registry cleaners, adaware/and malware removal tools.
    Most of the time the programs function, but sometimes Windows files get corrupted by it.
    I would recommend that you run CHKDSK /R, (or, /f) - if you go to start , run, and type in CHKDSK /r (or f), and restart.
    Then check to see if it solves it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  7. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

Tired to run chkdsk and received error message saying windows could not find. This morning got another freezing without running any programs other than firefox.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Looking back throygh your post to Malware, I see that the file SHeur.BID. appears to have been the original one removed. I found references to a Google toolbar , for this, so - are you using Google toolbar ?
    If so I suggest you uninstal, and reinstal it.
    To run
    CHKDSK /F
    Note the space between the K and the forward slash /.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I cannot find any reference in your original post to your set up. Are you using XP ? 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 ?
    It can help anyone offering assistance to know a bit about your rig

10. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

I didnt notice the space. I have XP. I dont use google toolbar but i did download google picasa a few weeks i ago but havent even installed it yet. So i have a something called google updater.exe and and picasa2Setup.exe but i havent run them yet. Anyway im gong to run the CHKDSK /F and see if that helps. Thanks.

11. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

Running chkdsk /f and r did not help.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The next way check on Windows files-
    Start in safe mode, no networking ,then GO to start run, and type in sfc /scannow, and put your XP disk in the CD/dvd rom.
    Windows will look for replacement of any corrupted windows files, and you will have to sit there for up to an hour, depending on your system, and keep clicking 'retry', until the blue line gets to the end, and your main files will then be clean.

Again, note the space between sfc, and scannow.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  13. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

I tried sfc noted the space. NOthing happened. Its a dell reiinstallation disc if that matters. SO i started thinking maybe i just reinstall windows all together but what if its not windows. What if its my memory or hard drive? I tried running something called drwatson but i could figure it out either. SO frustrating. My computer seems to be working fine. Then freeze. It records for six hours in the morning but as soon as i want to encode wav into mp3 it freeze.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, a Dell cd might not work with sfc /scannow, you really need any oem XP , to be sure to run it.
    Before you run a repair/reinstallation, if you want to test your memory, you can download memtest 86 from majorgeeks, and a hard drive test- I will come back with some links-

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Re reading the thread, -
    Try uninstalling AVG, and see if it does it, then- if it does/does not, then re-instal AVG.
    Sometimes an antIvirus update will cause problems, or even a Microsoft update, when set to automatic update.

17. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

Thanks. I will try all the things you suggested. This morning i got another blue shut down screen. (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION) When i restarted i got a message saying that windows had encountered major problem unfortunately I cant remember the rest of what it said in the box. Then when i reopened firefox browser i got a tabfrom microsoft (i think) saying Machine Check Crash: It basically said windows knows i have a hardware problem but doesnt know why. It also said its most likely caused by:
    RAM
    system board
    CPU or
    power supply
    It also recommended i back up my files right away and contact the manufacturer for help. I tried to bookmark the page but my ****ing computer froze again and the next restart i didnt receive any of the aforementioned messages.

18. foofighters

foofighters Private E-2

Now that i have these four programs on my computer what do I do with them? Where do i go to 'compare my results? How do i see what is wrong with my computer? Thanks.

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

(MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION)

I would not try to understand all of this, but it might help you see why thr error showed.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa501706.aspx
    But more explanation, here.

http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/appendix/halmca_1okz.htm rolleyes

As you, no doubt will see, even Microsoft are vague about the cause- As the report said- it could be .......
    Well we knew that at the start, so we have to try to eliminate- hence the series of testers.

I would test your memory first, with mem86
    :)

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The memtest86, is an iso file, and needs to be copied to a cd
    This program will do that for you

http://www.isobuster.com/

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

With memtest , you run it for two/three passes - if it shows errors, I would replace the ram. if you have more than one , test them one at a time..

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Disk checkup 2.1
    Will give ......

An approximation of the life span of your disk drive is an invaluable piece of information. SMART ( Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology ) is an interface between a computer's BIOS (basic input/output system) and the computer hard disk, which provides information about various 'attributes' of a drive, such as 'Power on hours' and 'Temperature'. DiskCheckup uses this data to determine the overall health of your drive.

No comparison needed- it is o.k, or it is not.

23. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

TestCPU is a processor detector and benchmark. It not only identifies your CPU and its features but also shows a picture of it. Runs simple benchmarks.

You can see what it has to say - if you run a benchmark, and your cpu is compared to others - you just read the report, follow the tests through.

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you run Everest, before, or, after the memtest, you can read through to see if your cpu, memory is showing at its correct potential, and the temperature of your cpu, and motherboard, while Windows is running. You can watch to see if they vary, if you look at a picture, open a document etc:

25. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I cannot find anything in your posts on the cpu/motherboard that you have.If its' Intel (Pentium/Celeron)(giabyte), and others this little tool is visible in Windows.
    Intel Active Monitor 1.22
    Intel Active Monitor is an alerting utility created by Intel and available exclusively on Intel Desktop Boards. As PCs increase in performance and decrease in size, monitoring the cooling and overall system health becomes more important. The Intel Active Monitor works with specialized sensors on your Intel Desktop Board to constantly monitor the system's temperatures, power supply voltages, and fan speeds. If temperatures become extremely hot or a system fan or power supply fails, the user is immediately notified.

In addition to displaying cooling information, Intel Active Monitor makes it easy for a user to identify the processor type and speed, look up desktop board, chipset, and memory information, and customize the alerts that may be generated and their thresholds. The Intel Active Monitor utility requires less than 1% of system resources.

http://majorgeeks.com/Intel_Active_Monitor_d3251.html

26. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

To check the power supply voltage, I understand that at the ATX plug... the 4part plug that plugs into the motherboard
    Yellow - Black -------Voltage should be 12V
    Red - Black ------------Voltage should be 5V

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You need around 15 amps on the 12v rail, to run with any venum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds