Filseclab firewall uninstall

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kelly30708, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Kelly30708

Kelly30708 Private E-2

(System: eMachines AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 2.08 GHz, 960 MG RAM Win XP SP2. Filseclab firewall, Spy Sweeper, Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware SE, AVG AS free version, Spybot SD. Need more info? Please ask!)

I recently switched from dial-up to DSL. When I ran the GRC, Sygate, and Securitymetrics scans on dial-up, all my ports were "stealthed". Now ports 21, 23, and 80 are showing "open". I don't know if it's my computer or my provider whose ports are open! So I blocked all traffic in and out of those three ports to see what would happen. No difference in my browsing at all, and the ports still show open. Even though they are still "open", are they now secure from bad guys?

I wanted to switch to the Comodo firewall because I've read very good reviews here and elsewhere, but when I uninstalled Filesclab it shut down my internet 100%, and the XP firewall wouldn't open because it couldn't open ICS sharing. (I don't know what that is, by the way.) Also, I saw that alg.exe was no longer running in the Task Manager, and I knew that was bad news for the XP firewall.

I did system restore and made sure that this time Filesclab did NOT automatically shut down the XP firewall automatically, and I actually had them both running, kinda hoping that the XP firewall would get the hint and KEEP running once Filesclab was gone! Nope. Same result on the 2nd uninstall attempt.

I restored again, and here I am. I don't know if I even NEED to get rid of Filesclab. I like all the information it gives me (port usage, sent/received info., etc.) and it SEEMS to work well. However, I am not a geek, unfortunately, so how can I possibly know how well it's actually working??

Anyway, I don't know why the Filseclab uninstall is so bad, but I DID notice that it automatically set a restore point named "Removed Filseclab Personal Firewall".

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Go to safe mode,and uninstall Filseclab firewall.restart,and go again in safe mode.Go to Control panel>administrative tools>service,and there you can find ALG(aplication layer gateway)and ISC(Windows firewall\Internet connection sharing).If you can't uninstall in safe mode uninstall firewall in normal mode.
    Hope this help.

3. Kelly30708

Kelly30708 Private E-2

Thank you, Goran.P! It did a very clean uninstall in Safe Mode - I didn't even have to start ALG and ICS Sharing manually. I have Comodo installed, now I have to learn how to use it!

Is it best to uninstall programs while in safe mode all the time to avoid having a problem like I had with Filseclab?

I have several more questions, but I'll post them in upcoming days and weeks. Again, thank you very much.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

One thing,use CCleaner to clean your registry,It's very safe program,and I recommend to you.When you open CCleaner go to issue and run-scan for issue.After that click fix,and your done.Do couple more times if nessesary,and you clean your registry,and ready for the new adventures.Also run cleaner to clean your comp from unwanted files.Good Luck!!!!

PS:I forgot,silly me::wave:wave:DWELCOME TO MAJOR GEEKS:celebrate:wave:wave

5. Kelly30708

Kelly30708 Private E-2

I use CCleaner very regularly and I've been a huge fan of that program for years! I use that and RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio, and that's why I was so confused about my inability to uninstall.

In fact, all of the "cleaning products" I use have been ones I discovered on MG and through this forum in the last seven years, so this site has been absolutely essential for my computer's well-being!

Thanks much for the welcome!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds