Prob with Win98SE and oleaut32, and how to backup files

Discussion in 'Software' started by earsz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. earsz

earsz Private E-2

This is a 2-part problem:

A grandchild won a renovated Compac computer running Win98SE. it has developed a problem: It mostly won't open files or start programs, saying "Error Starting Program ... The OLEAUT32.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem." Upon startup, it also says "the program dvoovsqe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down," and the same message regarding "ppcolink." the latter is part of connecting to the 'net via PeoplePC, the family's ISP. i find two "dvoovsqe" files in the computer: __.exe and ___.lgc, but I can't find anything on the net in re the dvoovsqe file name; what is it?

so. how do I remedy the oleaut32.dll problem?

Presumably I can reinstall win93SE from a disk (if it will open), but first I need to copy the files the granddaughter and family have on the computer. I have a USB external hard drive, but Win98 doesn't recognize a USB-connected drive. Can this be resolved so I can copy the files? The computer has a CD drive but apparently it is play-only, so the files can't be written to a CD as backup, best I can tell. The computer has an A-drive for the 1.4-meg floppies.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You can always download another copy of the oleaut32.dll file as yours may be corrupt (just google for it). It lives in the C:\Windows\System folder.

3. earsz

earsz Private E-2

thanks: I downloaded an oleaut32 and subbed it in place of the old one; things seem ok, files and programs open, etc.

Any suggestion re how to back up the content since Win98 doesn't support usb2? i'd still like to reinstall the OS since it seems to ahve some other minor problems.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Although Win98SE doesn't support USB2 it will happily run a USB2 device at USB1 speeds provided you have the correct driver for whatever device you are using. Sometimes if you can't find a specific W98 driver a newer driver will work but be prepared for it to fail.

As to your other minor problems, what are they and maybe we can help you there too. :)

5. earsz

earsz Private E-2

Thanks for the driver suggestion. My resonse has been delayed while I sought a driver. I have IO Magic (not IO Mega but Magic) 25o gig extranal drive (called gigabank). IO Magic says flatly it will not work with win98. This device has no program CD or the like. One just hooks it up and it uses what's built into the OS. My main computers run WinXP Home, so that's fine there but no help with the grandkid's computer.

That old computer has only A-drive for the small floppy and CD play, but not CD write. I think I'm screwed re any backup *s*
    but welcome futher suggestion if any.

6. earsz

earsz Private E-2

"As to your other minor problems, what are they and maybe we can help you there too. "

The Win98 cmputer won't play audio, says there is no hardware installed. However, it has a sound card and that worked until just recently. I ran "find new hardware" and got message saying it was installed but had a problem and needed a WDMA driver. I got and installed and ran "find hardware" again and DID NOT get that message, so I guess the driver is fine. But computer still says No hardware installed" when I try to play audio CD.

I had figured reinstalling OS might fix so wasn't going to fool with this problem till then.

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

For the USB driver problem you may get away with using a generic Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Driver. Look here for instance.

As for the no Audio you should try booting the PC to Safe Mode (Use F8 key as the PC boots and pick from the menu) then right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager>select your sound card (under sound, video & Game controllers) then delete it. Ok your way out and then reboot the PC it should then redetect it as new hardware. Re-install the driver if it asks.

8. earsz

earsz Private E-2

Went to the site you recommended, downloaded the program and installed it. Says it's installed _ but I don't see anything like an icon, or a "send to" or any other change as to how to direct material to a USB. Maybe I need to sleep on it *s*

i plugged the IO Magic external drive into each of the two USB jacks, but see no reaction. Wish I had the smaller Maxtor I gave to the grandkid's mother!

though I had installed two replacement INF files because the compouter said there was a problem, it says there's a problem with a USB driver and wants to return to the one I renamed to "old". I need to do more with the thing ... prolly overnight.

Haven't tried the sound bit yet.

9. earsz

earsz Private E-2

Wrapping this up: I never did get the USB port to work with a USB2 device, but I cut down the backup to a bare minimum, then reinput Win98, picked up the unofficial update package here at MajorGeeks _ I was counting on your having it *s* , and all now is well, including having sound. Manually replacing DLLs had relieved some of the probs prior to the reload. Many thanks for the help.

10. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well sorry that you didn't get the USB2 device to work. :(

To date I've always been lucky and found drivers that will work with "unsupported" USB devices. Though sometimes you do have to try more than one or two.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds