Firefox most recent bookmark missing after crash! NEED DESPERATE HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomcruise3230, Jul 25, 2007.

1. tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230 Private E-2

I have most of the bookmarks that i bookmarked a month ago but not the most recently. The most recently bookmarks went missing when I didn't close firefox properly when i clicked the standby icon (i closed it after i clicked standby) I have tried all the methods stated in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks (more then 1 profile, backup bookmarks) but i still can't find the latest ones. I bookmarked tons of sites in one day and thats why i dont see them on the backup bookmarks files.

Also, when my firefox bookmarks went missing, it also did these things: everytime i close and restart firefox the customized toolbar setting always changes to default (i changed it to show text only but it changes back to show icons!), the google search engine disappeared, and typed website address are gone on the pull down address bar, and I can't bookmark anything! (also tried Ctrl + D and pressed okay but it doesn't go anywhere!) So i dont know what is going on (Also run norton anti-virus and other spyware removal software like ad-aware, search & destroy, but no spyware was found) . Please help me at least get my booksmarks back (it took me a long time to gather them) and anything will help!

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

This actually does not sound like it has anything to do with malware. As such, I'm moving it to the Software Forum.

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

goto start run the %appdata% then Mozzilla, then browse to Firefox\profiles\ then random numbers then bookmarkbackups then one should contain the latest.

5. tomcruise3230

i did what you said (even searched "bookmarks" and "bookmarks*" on my local hard drive but still can't find it is their any other way

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Do exactly as a i said and it will work, don't search for the folder, do start run then %appdata%

7. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Try this:

C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default\bookmarkbackups

Or:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\ApplicationData\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxx.default\bookmarkbackups

8. tomcruise3230

what i meant to say was i did what u suggested and i do see the bookmarkbackups but the the most recent bookmarks (i bookmarked tons of site in three days and thats the one i cant find in any of the backup bookmarks) therefore is their still a way to find them if they arent already been over written, deleted, or simply disapppeared?

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Did you even read my previous post? You have all the symptoms of a corrupt localstore.rdf file in your Firefox profile. The easiest way to fix it is the safe mode method: Exit Firefox completely and then restart Firefox in Safe Mode (there should be a link to launch in Firefox Safe Mode in your Start menu). A window called Firefox Safe Mode with some troubleshooting options will appear. Select the option "Reset toolbars and controls" and choose "Make Changes and Restart".

Your toolbar customizations will be deleted, but if you do them again they will stick. Bookmarks will be back to normal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds