best anti-spyware utility?

Discussion in 'Software' started by languy99, Jul 25, 2007.

1. languy99

languy99 Corporal

hey guys i'm trying to find the best free anti-spyware utility that offers real time protection. right now i am running aol anti virus ( powered by kaspersky), and sygate firewall, so i'm trying to round out with a good anti-spyware utility. what is everyones opinion? thanks.

2. languy99

languy99 Corporal

i used spyware terminator once but it also slowed my computer, how good is comodo boclean comapred to the pay ones and compared to windows defender and is it ok to run just windows defender? and also if i remember when i had cyberhawk it alerted me that boclean was logging key strokes thats why i took it off in the first place. and i had spyware doctor and it slowed my computer so much that i could really notice it and i'm running a OC intel core 2 duo, so that is unacceptable.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I haven't had any trouble with SpyTerm at all, ever. But I'm sure that individual experiences will vary somewhat. I've had good results with Comodo's BOClean and their firewall was recently rated the BEST free firewall available; it beat out Zone Alarm (which I think is TOTALLY over-rated) and Sygate (which I used for a LOOONG time 'til I saw this recent test; I'll provide a link if anyone cares). I just came across Haute Secure (http://hautesecure.com/) a day or two ago. I'm testing it now on my home PC to see what it's all about. I'm finding it a bit confusing right now, but I only installed it about 45 minutes ago and haven't messed around with, and it's not super user friendly either. I'm going to start a new thread asking you fine MajorGeeks to check out this "HauteSecure" and let me know what they think... it looks VERY promising, and it's free....

hd2k

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Spyware Terminator didn't slow down my system, but it was too annoying - and it kept resetting the time for its scheduled scans. I uninstalled it, am now trying Arovax Shield, which is a realtime shield only, like BOClean, but only for Win2k and XP.

Arovax Shield is much less obtrusive, and uses little resources - and it's also free.

I read a test that found BOClean wasn't really very effective. I used to have Defender, and I'm quite sure it does very little.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  5. languy99

languy99 Corporal

how do you guys think that arovax shield compares to ad-aware 2007's ad watch?

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I like Arovax Shield too but I had to remove it because, out of the blue after using it for over a year, it starting popping up these "GLOBAL_EVENT_TIME_OUT" errors relating to my Windows Terminal Services. I followed the 'fix' info and all was well for 2-3 days, and then it happened again, so I removed it. I then tried this thing called Neoava which looks OK... still testing it out. And I've recently come across Haute Secure which is highly rated at zdnet.com and I'll be trying it out also. Haven't tried Lavasoft's Ad-Watch, so I can't comment.....

hd2k

7. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I might try Haute Secure when they come out with the Firefox version, but it's no use to me now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds