System Restore won't let me go back past July...

Discussion in 'Software' started by elazarus, Jul 25, 2007.

1. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

I was hoping to be able to go back to February when I received my computer but the System Restore won't let me go back further than July 1.......

Is there any magic or secret that can get me back to day 1 short of a Format HD?

Thank you

Elliot

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

System restore has a set amount of hard drive space it can use to create restore points. When this is used up it overwrites the earliest set point to create room for the most recent.

Sorry.

3. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Thank you for answering.......

Does a Repair with original CD clean the Registry or only a Format and install???

Regards

Elliot

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

A repair install will return Windows to the state when you first starting using it. All the windows updates will be gone but your files and folders will still be there. It does not clean the registry out.

A clean install of Windows will reformat and set you up back at day one. You will lose all your files, docs, pics etc. unless you back them up to a seperate partition or to disks.

5. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Bummer.....I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

The Repair does not get rid of all the stuff in the Registry and the Install gets rid of everything that will take me 3 days to recover....

Is there a Registry cleaner that does more or better than CCleaner??? I had to use the Norton and the Mcafee uninstall .exe tool to get rid of the Registry garbage...I am wondering if there is some software that could save me 3 days?

Again, thank you

Elliot

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Can you tell us what went wrong,so you must restore or reformat?

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you know exactly what it is you are looking to remove from the registery, you can use RegSeeker. It has a "find in registery" feature that will find all instances of a word or phrase, and then back-up and delete what you select to.
    Messing with the registery is not a good idea, unless you know what you're doing.
    RegSeeker @ MG's

8. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

I have 2 computers...exact same builds...made in February.

One gets a lot of "Program not responding" hangups....and this machine was the guinea pig of a number of AV, Firewall, E-mail programs etc.....so Iknow there is a lot of stuff left behind that CCleaner can't get rid of. I hade to use the Norton.exe uninstall tool twice to get rid of Norton.

The other computer slows down and keeps getting knocked off our WiFi network.....it too, has had too many programs put on and taken off but not as much as Machine #1.

I was hoping to restore back to day 1 and then install only the programs that I want to use....and no I am not a Registry person....and that part does scare me......

If RegSeeker would work by typing in "Comodo" and deleting those unnecessary files then it would be a good thing......that is really what I want to do......as I can think of 20 programs that need to be removed.

Thank you all

Elliot

9. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

This app is very good at telling you what traces of software still show up in the registry.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegCleaner_d460.html

When you start it up the software section will show you what shows up in the reg. Only put a check mark beside the ones you know you have uninstalled.

This one will clean out and compact your registry removing all obsolete entries and also has a back-up program, which will let you back-up and restore your registry to points by the date at which you backed it up.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Erunt_d1267.html

Try them both out before you re-install your system.

10. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Thank you all for the great input.

Got a lot cleaned out.....RegCleaner would not load.....tried it a few times and cannot even delete it from the program files folder and does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs in CP.

Now we see if the computer is stable.

film at 11

Elliot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds