Asus P5K HD Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Huskylaw, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Huskylaw

Huskylaw Private E-2

Hi, I'm looking for assistance getting my sound driver installed for a new computer I built. Sadly the problem seems similar to the same problem that I see other people have had, and the posts I've researched are unclear what the solution is (or my solution differs).

The exact error when I try to install the RealTek audio driver is "Install RealTek HD Audio Driver Failure !!"

My motherboard is an Asus P5K-V, and I believe the sound is Realtek AC97. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. My research leads me to believe I need the right UAA driver for a 32 bit comp.

I've done a lot of searching, and was on the phone with Microsoft tech support for about 2 hours and they could not help fix the problem. So I'm really at my wits end right now.

Here is what I have done so far in an attempt to get this working.

1. Downloaded HP SP32646

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...1843446&os=228

2. Downloaded what I think is the correct Microsoft Hotfix

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

3. Downloaded from RealTek the most recent driver

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

4. Gone into the BIOS and switched back and forth from HD Audio to AC97

Please also note that I tried to uninstall the drivers under the device manager, but the system will not allow me. That just creates and error that says "Failed to remove device. The device may be required to reboot the computer."

Any suggestions?

2. Huskylaw

Huskylaw Private E-2

I don't see an edit to the original post, so I'm putting one extra bit of information in this reply.

After more research I found a tip that after I download the Realtek package (I got mine directly from the ASUS website) that I need to do the following:

1. Open the directory MSHDQFE\WIN2K_XP\US

run KB888111XPSP2

then re-run SETUP.EXE

however, this did not fix the problem either.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Looking at your mobo specs, I found that it has High-Def 8 channel audio and is probably a Realtek ALC883 audio chipset. Take a look here at your device manager again and make sure what your audio device is, get the right driver, and try installing again. Here are some tips, too.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133119

4. Huskylaw

Huskylaw Private E-2

Well, I got the problem fixed. So for anyone else who may have this error, have faith.

The posts and knowledge I gleamed were dead on right, you need to install the correct UAA driver first. This is usually bundled with the motherboard driver CD in the directory I listed in my original post. After that you need to install the 32bit driver.

However, this wasn't working for me last night because I made a critical error. When I set up the computer, I reinstalled Windows XP instead of deleting the old partion and doing a complete reformat. Once I did the complete reformat and reinstallation the problem disappeared. So my guess is that somehow the old device driver was still on the harddrive somewhere and causing a conflict.

I suppose one could have done a registry fix to remove the old device driver, but I am not too comfortable doing that, so I opted to reformat.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope this post helps if anyone down the line runs into this error.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds