My Windows xp needs a beat down

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomsnukie, Jul 26, 2007.

1. tomsnukie

tomsnukie Private E-2

My computer is running fine for the most part, have a day off so out of the blue I wanted to run scandisk and then defrag the computer. Then to my suprize windows wants me to restart to start the scandisk, this is a first but ok why not. So i restart, the scandisk doesn't happen; somthing about NTFS files and cannot open the volume (o.0) So I think to my self, Self: I'll just restart again in safe mode ^.^ but then the sceen just fills up with a list of paths to diffrent drivers and froze up like that >.< Well now it's gotten to the piont were I am worried about my computer and want to run scandisk before it blows up all together. So I then I attempted to run safe mode with networking thinking its worth a try, loading bar fills up and locked up on me. Computer works fine in normal, but still can't scandisk. Somthing is not right! Save me geeks please!:cry

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Make sure that XP is updated, especially SP2. Try the Chkdsk utility again.

If you still get an error, I would also disable my Anti-virus/Firewall and any "disk monitoring programs" that might be running.

Steve

3. tomsnukie

tomsnukie Private E-2

everythings updated, I think that maybe that my disk just messed up or somthing because it still will not work. I'm just going to back up all the kids photos so one day I can maybe format the darn thing.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. If you want, you can go to the manufacturer's website of your hard drive and run a diagnostic test. Run this utility, http://majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html it will tell you what brand of hard drive is installed.

Backing your stuff up would be a great idea anyway.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds