security updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by rwilmoth, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rwilmoth

rwilmoth Private E-2

i installed "speedupmypc" and i went into "unistall manager" and i found a bunch of "security updates for windows xp" with different KB numbers after them. What does this mean? Are all of those updates slowing my computer down?

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

If you open your Windows directory you will see many entries such as $NtUninstallKB927891$. These are various security and software patches for Windows related items.

What you are seeing in the registry "Uninstall" key are the uninstall paths for these various patches.

They do not slow down your system but over a period of time can accumulate to many MBs of disk space.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

On my box (fully updated), it only takes about 500 MB's of hard drive space

If, and only, if you are running out of hard drive space, one could remove these, but, if for say, a certain patch has messed up something you are using, you then could never uninstall that patch.

Personally, I'd just ignore it.

Those KB number represent Knowledge Base numbers. For example:
    $NtUninstallKB891122$ represents:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0F-BE61-4BD6-8408-1FD6E7827CD8&displaylang=en

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. rwilmoth

rwilmoth Private E-2

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I will ignore them for now as the majority said it didn't affect the speed of my computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds