Clean reinstall of XP Pro - Still slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by dgage123, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

This is my first post...

Just did a clean install of XP Pro (because it was hanging...for hours if I let it...when shutting down).

I have not yet created additional users or installed major software...however, it is still taking almost 4 minutes (3 minutes 49 sec) to restart my computer.

What is my problem????

I have read just about every post on the Internet regarding slow shutdowns and slow startups. However, I seem to get into trouble when I change too many of my services and registry settings.

I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback that can assist me. Currently, I do not have any viruses or spyware. I have already spent way too much time trying to get my computer working smoothly.

Attached is my text log.

Thanks much, dmg

Attached Files:

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

How much memory do you have installed?

When did it start?

Has it always been slow?

When you say "clean" do you mean a format reinstall? If so, then it's most likely not software but something else such as faulty hardware. Have you checked you HDD? Memory?

3. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

I have 1GB of memory.
    Yes, I did a format reinstall on my C drive (since most of my other files are saved on my D parition or external hard drive).
    No, it has not always been slow. I did have it down to 1 min 47 sec from hitting the restart button to the logon screen, however, I messed it up this morning and did a system restore from my last usable point from last night. But it did not put me back to where I want to be.

Let's put it this way...if I started all over with another reinstall of my OS, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks, dmg

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG.:major

As bjgarrick said, system specs would be real handy to enable accurate advice to be given. Bazza

5. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

Here are my specs. Let me know if you need additional info.
    ALSO, please note that I have all the Windows updates installed and have updated all my drivers based on drivers available on www.driveragent.com.
    Thanks, dmg

OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

PROCESSOR:
    2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

DRIVES:
    164.69 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    140.82 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [CD-ROM drive]
    MITSUMI CD-ROM FX54++M
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    HDS722516VLAT80 [Hard drive] (164.70 GB) -- drive 0, s/n VN643ECDDSDHND, rev V34OA6MA
    USB2.0 CardReader CF RW [Hard drive] -- drive 1
    USB2.0 CardReader Combo [Hard drive] -- drive 2

USERS:
    local user accounts last logon
    Donna 7/27/2007 4:56:18 PM (admin)
    Jeffrey 7/26/2007 9:33:49 PM (admin)
    local system accounts
    X Administrator never (admin)
    X Guest 7/26/2007 6:14:19 PM
    X HelpAssistant never
    X SUPPORT_388945a0 never

X Marks a disabled account

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe Rev 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1009.007 12/22/2004

MEMORY MODULES:
    1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

LOCAL DRIVE VOLUMES:
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.94 GB 36.24 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 99.62 GB 82.66 GB free
    e: (NTFS on drive 0) 23.13 GB 21.92 GB free

DISPLAY:
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
    OptiQuest Q95-4 [Monitor] (18.0"vis, s/n 70P040300381, January 2004)

MULTIMEDIA:
    Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

CONTROLLERS:
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571

BUS ADAPTERS:
    VIA SATA RAID Controller
    WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller
    WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
    VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

COMMUNICATIONS:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

VIRUS PROTECTION:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite Antivirus Version 7.0.362.000 Realtime File Scanning On

OTHER DEVICES:
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Microsoft USB Trackball Explorer
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
    Microsoft USB Trackball Explorer (IntelliPoint) [Mouse]
    Generic USB Hub
    USB Mass Storage (UISDMC30/32W) Device Driver
    USB Root Hub (5x)

6. tym

tym Corporal

Check out whats starting with your computer, starup inspector is a good one. Find it through google. Disable most of what is trying to start up. That should help and solve the slow boot up issues. Also check out this site its free and works well, http://www.processlibrary.com/processscan/ . See whats running in the background. You may find a file and or program that is causing the issue. Just download it and run it.

7. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

Dear tym,

I installed Startup Inspector and the only things I have running in my Startup are the following four:
    (1) Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.362.000
    (2) Ptipbmf (rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode (result of Promise RAID controller installation)
    (3) SiteAdvisor (McAfee)
    (4) ctfmon.exe

I removed the last one (ctfmon.exe). Should I remove any of the other three?

Thanks, dmg

8. bjgarrick

No, you shouldn't have removed the one you did, it's legit. Startup Inspector isn't needed for something simple like this, you should uninstall that.

This sounds like a hardware issue such as something faulty or a bad driver.

Have you tested the HDD as a faulty HDD will cause a computer to be slow. Also, have you tested your memory?

9. bjgarrick

I would start by testing the HDD and memory and work my way to individual hardware components.

MemTest 3.5

Hard Drive Inspector 2.45

When did this begin? Was it just all of a sudden or how did it start exactly?

10. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

Results of MemTest 3.5:
    Tested "All Unused RAM" - 155% coverage, 0 errors

Results of Hard Drive Inspector 2.45:
    Reliability 100%; Performance 100%; Resistance 100%
    HDD Model: HDS 2722516VLAT80
    Capacity: 157,066 MB
    Total Free Space: 134,237 MB
    Power-On Time: 7,268 hrs (302 days)?
    Temp: varied between 95 and 97 degrees F.

Both tests turned out fine.
    What else do I need to check?

11. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

CLARIFICATION:

The slowness is specifically when I am shutting down.

From the time I hit RESTART until the time the "Saving Your Settings" (and "Windows is Shutting Down") goes off the screen is 2 minutes and 40 seconds. That is what I want to reduce. I have just reinstalled my OS. [And you might want to keep in mind that I do not yet have Microsoft Office 2003 or Adobe Creative Suite CS2 installed yet.]

As far as when this problem started, it has been evident since the re-install yesterday. I am trying to reduce the shutdown time.

Previously (before the re-install), I did not pay attention as to when and why the "slow down" and "lock up during shutdown" started. Sorry to be so vague, but I don't really know what my shutdown time goal is. (Like I previously mentioned, this morning I did get it down to 1 min 42 sec, but then tweaked it some more and messed up everything, then did the restore).

12. bjgarrick

You can uninstall those two programs I had you install now.

The below should help, what this does is when you click "Shut Down" or "Restart", with the below merged it will kill all tasks running so explorer can shut down without waiting on everything to close one by one.

After you complete the below, reboot once or twice to see if it helps any.

To merge into the registry, copy the contents of the below Quote Box to Notepad. Then click File and then Save As. Change the Save as Type to All Files. Name the file fixme.reg and then click save. (make sure you save it somewhere you can find it. Saving it to your Desktop may make that easy.) Then double-click on the fixme.reg file on your desktop (or locate it with Windows Explorer and double click on it if not saved to the Desktop) and when it prompts to Add in to the registry, say yes.

13. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

Thank you for that registry entry but unfortunately it did not work...it totally hung during the shutdown of the second reboot. [I had to help it along after 6 min & 15 sec.]

In any event, for whoever else is following this thread, below is a new HiJackThis log.

IN SUMMARY,
    I would like to reduce my shutdown time.
    My 1 GB of RAM and hard drive have both been tested and are fine.
    I have 4 acceptable entries in my Startup.
    I am defragged, have no viruses or adware, etc.
    A complete listing of the details of my system are available a few posts back.
    Any new guesses or suggestions.

..or should I just reinstall XP Pro AGAIN?

My "last-ditch-effort" thoughts:
    (#1) Perhaps an updated driver I used from Driver Agent is causing a problem.
    (#2) My 11-year old son is set-up as a user. The only game he installed on the PC is THQ's Hot Wheels Velocity X.
    Could that be wrecking havoc on my machine?

Edit by bjgarrick: Inline log attached!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

15. dgage123

dgage123 Private E-2

Matacumbie,

You are the most wonderful person in the world! You have solved my problem, I just wish you had come along a little sooner because I ripped nearly all my hair out these past two days.

In fact, before the decision to reinstall, the shutdown time had suddently increased. That very well could have been when I did a clean install of the newer version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite (7.0.362.000).

Now, if I just turn off the ZA anti-virus right before I shutdown, I go from pressing the restart button to logon screen in about 1 min 4 sec. VAST improvement over 1 min 42 sec (one time) to just under 4 min (majority of the time) to over 5 and a half minutes.

Thanks again!!!!!

Just wish I could let all those folks who have that version of Zone Alarm Security Suite know about this issue...or hope a patch/update comes out real soon...I wouldn't wish this episode of troubleshooting on anybody.

And thanks to all you other guys who helped me through this ordeal. I sure learned a lot.

16. bjgarrick

I was looking to deep ;)

Glad you got it resolved!

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad you got it sorted my friend. :)

I think ZA will fix it pretty soon in an update or patch. Seems to be fairly common so they will get plenty of feedback I'm sure.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds