Need video driver update

Discussion in 'Software' started by FudgyBear, Jul 28, 2007.

1. FudgyBear

FudgyBear Private E-2

O/S Win XP Pro
    Video card: ATI Tech., 3D RAGE PRO PCI

ATI doesn't seem to recognize the card. :(

Old driver causing system shut down (No blue screen).

Also need instructions on how to install it, since the last driver I updated was on a WIN 3.1 O/S. confused

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks, Fudgy Bear

Have you identified your card at this site and down loaded the driver by clicking on it and going to drivers in the customer care section?

The ATI drivers are self installing executables

http://ati.amd.com/products/discontinued.html

3. FudgyBear

FudgyBear Private E-2

Hi!

I don't see the card for mine there. The program name I put in the 1st post was copied directly from the Systems Device Manager. The nearest on the list is RAGE Fury Pro. I don't know if that one is even close to 3D RAGE PRO PCI.

Glad to hear they're executables! The one I installed on the 3.1 wasn't.

Thanks for answering so quickly!
    :)

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The site also contains details of the spec and pics for each card. That's what I meant by try to identify yours. ATI never published all the names on the web. It's also more complicated because third party manufacturers use/used ATI chips and they are/were responsible for the drivers.

Before ATI were taken over by AMD they had a program on their website to identify an aTI card - but it didn't alsways work.

Some while ago I had an alternative approach, I simply downloaded a whole bunch to Cd and tried each one in succession. If it is the wrong one the install will commence then tell you it is the wrong one and can't be installed. All you have to try the next one...........It's called brute force and ignorance, but it worked for assembling countless second user pcs.

I am assuming that it is a separate PCI card, not an onboard chip. These are also reported as PCI by device manager.

5. FudgyBear

FudgyBear Private E-2

Thanks!

I just D/L the one closest to the description of what I need, and I'll give it a try, and let you know how it works!

6. FudgyBear

FudgyBear Private E-2

Thanks for your help! The 2nd driver I downloaded did the trick.[/I]

:clap

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad it worked out and thanks for letting us know.

Now you can get on with enjoying the benefits of Major Geeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds