HIPS...Anyone Here Use Them?

Discussion in 'Software' started by f66939, Jul 28, 2007.

1. f66939

f66939 Private E-2

I've been reading about HIPS programs on other forums. I then did a search here at MGs to get the opinions about these anti-spyware/firewall programs from the posters here and found nada! What gives?

The two most talked about at other sites are Online Armor and Dynamic Security Agent. The link below goes to a very through firewall leak test site whose latest results placed 'Online Armor' the 3rd best overall firewall and DSA with a respectable above average show beating out several well known firewalls, despite the fact that DSA is not promoted as a firewall and can be used "in addition to" a resident firewall.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Neither product is available for download here. This begs the question, What is the criteria for making security software available for download at Major Geeks?

Curious, f66939

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Submit it for testing to the owners if you like and rate that product http://www.majorgeeks.com/submitdownload.php it will be tested and may or may not be included. Have you used the two you mention and if so what positive and negative feedback do you have on how easy they are to use, control, performace etc?

Not noticed those apps being talked on some of the big few forums, so maybe a local area or regional thing, but as there are 100s of softwares all doing similar jobs its easy not to notice the smaller companies,

To be honest each time I have noticed HIPS on forums its been spam linked to money and mortgages scams.... so not an apt acronym for host-based intrusion prevention system applications!

3. f66939

f66939 Private E-2

No I don't use them. They sound intriguing. Found a lot of talk at Castle Cops and Wilders forums. They're both legit forums...right?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yep both legit and good forums. I visit them but may have not noticed the chat on those apps, but if you feel they are good then submit them to the page I listed and they may get listed for download here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds