Reinstalled XP and machine working but I need some help....

Discussion in 'Software' started by elazarus, Jul 28, 2007.

1. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

After reinstalling XP (wasted a week on diagnosis etc) and the computer is Zooming...is there a program that I can take a "Snapshot" of the hard drive so if I want to re-install Windows down the road....it is all there as it is today????

Also, right now the only error box is that Netgear PCI Express card keeps erroring out and closing.....this has been a problem with this card for 4 months.....my USB Network adapter works fine....so I plan on uninstalling Netgear today and when I buy the "Snapshot" program get a new Wireless Adapter.....any suggestions Lyncsys (sp), D-Link, Belkin.....

I want to extend range but don't need "N"....

Thank you in advance for any input.

Elliot

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

What you're looking for is an app that will create an image of the hard drive in it's entirety, compress that image (to save space), and store the image in a specified location until you need it. You'll also want the program to be able to do the reverse: extract the compressed image and 'lay' the image on the drive/partition specified by you. There are several tools that will do this available: I believe Partition Magic is one (not 100% sure tho'). Check the Drive Utilities section here at MajorGeeks, and be patient; I'm sure someone else will come along whose more versed in partition/imaging software and they can offer some more advice.... as for WLAN equipment: I've always been partial to NetGear, but that's just my opinion ;)

hd2k

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Or you might want to try "Backups" ....check the Acronis web site ..they were giving version 6 or 7 away as freeware at one point.

4. elazarus

elazarus Private E-2

Thank you....The acronis Image is perfect.

Regards

Elliot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds