Windows XP Best Books ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gregory447, Jul 29, 2007.

1. gregory447

gregory447 Private E-2

While viewing a thread in a Microsoft Forum on XP books, a few interesting things were said. One was how extremely comprehensive a Goggle search was for any computer question, with thousands of choices. Others posted that Google was truely great for a specific question or troubleshoot, it is always nice to have one or two good books to brouse through and refer to. A couple of books mentioned were: "Windows XP Inside Out" (2nd Edition) 1,344 pgs. by Bott, Siechert and Stinson. Pub. 2004. This $44.99 book is available at Amazon.com for $17.99 brand new. There is also a Deluxe Edition which retails for $59.99 that is more advanced. It is discounted also. The other book mentioned was much more advanced: "Windows XP Professional Resource Kit" (3rd Edition) 1,523 pgs. by The Microsoft Windows Team with Charlie Russel and Sharon Crawford. Comes with CD Rom. $59.99 retail, $30 discounted. Amazon didn't have this one. These two books seemed too advanced for me, but while I was at Amazon, I ordered a book that seemed a little more intermediate in scope: "Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows XP Home" (3rd Edition) by Cowart & Knittel 1,075 pgs. Pub.2005. Retail $44.99. Amazon had this brand new book with CD ROM for (brace yourself) $3.45 ! Re-entered for verification: $3.45 I was so surprized that I ordered one. (July 29). The shipping was more than the book! $3.99 It seems that since Vista came out, they are unloading these XP books. Please post if you are using this book, and let us know what you think of it. I was hoping to get a few more leads on XP books that you think would be helpful to me and to others reading this Thread.
    Please indicate whether the book is (beg.) beginer (int.) intermediate or (adv.) advanced. It would also help if you rated the book on a scale from 1-10. A 10 being super good. Example: (int.) (R-9). Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes its good to have a book or two to read, while the internet and a search engine maybe good to search a general OS/PC hardware, troubleshooting question, you have to also be very careful as the answer ( depending on where found ) may not be the correct one!

Windows Inside and Out ( int 9 ) and Windows XP Pro Resource Kit ( int > Adv 9 )will both be very good books, and I would rate both as good to have, I have read alot of tech posts from both Ed Bott and Charlie Russel.

also Windows XP for Dummies is a great book, aimed for novice > intermmediate users. ( actually the whole Dummies series of books are good for items from MS Office > Photoshop )

Two electronic guides on Microsoft OSes and other software are two I use in:

MSDN
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx

Technet
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/default.aspx

These can be advanced at times but the info is very good.

3. gregory447

gregory447 Private E-2

On a post at a Microsoft Forum, a fellow noted that when he checked for info on logging-in in Secure Mode in Windows XP Gigabook for Dummies, 882 pgs., he found nothing at all in any chapter or in the index. He was disapointed and remarked about being continually insulted by a joke book. He asked how anyone would ever consider giving a Dummies book as a gift! A bit harsh, wouldn't you agree? There are some that probably enjoy this kind of humor.

4. DavidGP

The Dummies books are a simple insight into the XP OS and other softwares they cover, and if he wanted to go indepth into that topic or felt insulted then that was not the book for him, most likely will have needed one of the more advanced books or a trip through Technet.

Though I didnt know XP had a way to login in secure mode? safe mode yes and if that is what they were looking for then looking for wrong item is not fault of book.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I own Windows XP inside out, its a thourough book. Dummies books are better for general knowledge as Halo mentioend.

6. gregory447

gregory447 Private E-2

Oops! I quoted using the wrong word. It was safe mode. Looks like I am the Dummie. :cry

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

8. DavidGP

No issue Gregory, happens all the time, I have nasty typos.... but your main posting is all about Books for XP and which ones are good, so worrying about wether it was secure or safe is not relevent for you, it was the other member on another forum who had that issue.

I think as the Major mentions and as he has that book then Windows XP inside out is possibly the best match for you and at $18 its a great buy.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

My "Bible" is Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, 2nd edition, covers SP2, by David A. Karp. Check out www.annoyances.org ISBN 0-596-00876-7
    640 pages and around USD$35 initially.

It covers everything I wanted to know when learning XP. I guess it is for Intermediate users up to Experts, but is written in such a clear way that beginners could use it, and increase their knowledge at the same time.:major

My copy is 2 years old, and well dogeared. I used it continuously for a long time, and still use it on a regular basis. I would be lost without it to jog my memory on various tips, tweaks, etc.

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds