SpeedFan Temperatures

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomsmg, Jul 29, 2007.

1. tomsmg

tomsmg Private First Class

Hello Everyone: Lately my xp home editon has been freezing after 5 hours and its been quite often, so I figure it is heat related and suspect the power supply unit so I downloaded SpeedFan. Please take at the attachment and if anyone knows or can tell me if the Fan#1 could possibly for the power supply. I keep the inside of the pc clean at all times so there is no dust build up. The pc is 6 years old. I keep in top shape!
    I take it there is a fan inside the power supply and it may be failing, is it very hard to change a power supply unit in an HP computer? Also, how much and where to get one, if I need it? Thanks,Tom

Attached Files:

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You can try to change out the Processor fan, which is what I did on my xt923, which cooled it down a lot more. Just keep in mind to clean off the processor if changing compound.

As for the OS stalling after five hours, are there any errors showing in the Event Log? The power supply would have nothing to do with overheating, due to it will be a fan issue, and does not appear to be of issue from your screen shot. BTW, change to Fahrenheit, due to Celsius is a PITA for those of us that cannot convert in our heads too well.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah- when replacing a CPU fan (it's usually a heat sink and fan combo type of unit) be sure to use a thin, even layer of thermal snot on the CPU and be sure to clean the old snot off the chip first. SpeedFan (as far as I know) does not monitor power supply fans or temps, I'm not sure that any program does. One way to check your PS fan(s) is; when you first turn on the PC, keepyour eyes on the rear PS fan. If it spins up real quick right away and appears steady, then it's probably OK. But if it seems to start spinning slowly at first, then starts getting a bit faster, then a bit faster, and so on, or if it looks like the speed is changing, slow to fast to medium to fast back to slow... then it's probably on its way out. Chnaging a PSU in any PC is generally fairly easy, so long as your case takes a standard ATX power supply. Some HP's do (most of them from the past3 years or so), some don't. And sometimes the mounting screw pattern is standard, but the HP power supply is 'short'; meaning that a std. PSU might be too long and will bump up against the CD drives and will be too tight to fit correctly. A Google search for your PSU model number should provide links-o-plenty to some acceptable replacements and size info. If it's a standard size, visit your local independent PC shop, and get a new PSU...... good luck, and keep us posted!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds