system restore troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Software' started by accygirl2000, Jul 29, 2007.

1. accygirl2000

accygirl2000 Private E-2

Hi

I have just joined the list, after using Major Geeks quite a few times. My problem is this.

Windows XP System Restore. When I try to run this utility, I get an error message -
    rstrui.exe - unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because SRRSTR.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Any ideas on how to fix this?????

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Try reinstalling System Restore:

1. Open Windows Explorer

2. on the Main toolbar click Tools

3. From the drop down menu click Folder Options

4. The folder Options Properties window will now open

5. Click the View tab

6. In the advanced Settings list scroll down to the Hidden Files and Folders section

7. Click on the radio button next to the Show Hidden Files and Folders option

8. Click OK to close the Folder Options Properties window

9. In the left hand pane of windows explorer click the + sign next to My Computer

10. This now expands the drive list

11. Click the + sign next to the C: drive to expand the folder list

12. From the folder list navigate to the Windows folder and click the + sign next to this to expand the folder list

13. Scroll down and click on the INF folder

14. A list of INF files will appear in the right hand pane of Windows explorer

15. Look for a file called SR.INF

16. Once you have located SR.INF Right Click on the folder

17. From the drop down menu click on Install

18. System restore should now re-install

19. If you are asked at any time to insert your Windows XP CD (typically to copy files sr.sys and srframe.mmf) then do so. This enables fresh files to be copied over to your hard drive. Don't try browsing to the Windows directory on your hard drive for the relevant file as all you will be doing is replacing one corrupt file with another.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds