Windows Updates NOT Applying

Discussion in 'Software' started by swalsh19, Jul 29, 2007.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

Whenever I try to apply any Windows updates they always fail.

I have scanned my system for viruses and malware and the system is clean.

I had the Micrsoft Update on but I have disabled that and reverted back to Windows Update bt still can't get updates applied.

Any Ideas?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dial-a-fix_d4899.html
    Check the 'Fix Windows Update' box and everything in the 'Registration Center'. I recently had the same problem where the updates would download just fine, but wouldn't install. Dial-A-Fix repaired the problem.

hd2k

3. Kelly30708

Kelly30708 Private E-2

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem, and I tried Dial-a-Fix in normal and safe mode. It didn't work. Here is a list of the updates that have consistently failed to install:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)

I also read somewhere (I'll have to look) about renaming the Catroot2 file to get updates working, and that didn't work either. I've also turned updates off.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I think I read somewhere also about renaming the Software Distribution folder (adding '-old' to the folder name) as being a fix. If it doesn't work, you can always rename it back.....

5. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

Thanks Dave, Dial-A_Fix fixed the issue for me!

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hey swalsh19, that's awesome! I'm glad my tip helped out! Dial-A-Fix can be miracle worker. It's 100% safe to use, and I run it weekly just to be sure everything is how it should be.... anyway, I'm glad to hear all is well ;)

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds