Multiple Windows Installations

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fluidic, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Fluidic

Fluidic Private E-2

So I am really stuck with this problem and need some help.

My sisters laptop got royally f'ed and I was trying to format her hdd and reinstall a fresh windows and get her going again. However, half way through the installation, I accidentally kicked the power connector and it turned off the laptop. After that the computer wouldn't properly boot from the CD anymore to try and finish installing windows.

So my next idea was to put her laptop hdd into an external enclosure, plug it into my computer, and install it that way. Well, when I booted from the windows CD, it automatically installed windows onto my storage drive, and set up my computer to dual boot. So once I realized it had installed windows onto the wrong drive, I tried again, and this time it gave me options and didn't just automatically start installing itself and let me start installing to her hdd in the external enclosure.

Now though, my computer computer see's 3 windows options to boot from (even though the laptop hdd isn't connected anymore) and very quickly auto selects and tries to boot from the laptop hdd. I have tried going through microsoft's knowledge base and help desk pages, on how to uninstall the windows on my storage drive, but can't get any of the methods to work.

Does anyone know how to uninstall windows from my storage drive and to get rid of the bogus boot options so I can boot up my computer normally without having to select which windows to boot from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, you would "uninstall" from your storage drive by formatting it.

To get rid of the boot options, please do the following:

1. Disconnect the storage drive, and power up the system.
    2. Once in Windows, press windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    3. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'msconfig' (without the quotes)
    4. Press enter (or click the 'OK' button)
    5. In the 'System Configuration Utility' select the 'BOOT.INI' tab
    6. Press the 'Check All Boot Paths' button

Windows will now try to locate the installation on your storage drive, and when it can't find it, it will prompt you to remove it from BOOT.INI. Select 'Yes', and you won't have any more OS choice menu at startup.

3. Fluidic

Fluidic Private E-2

That worked like a charm to remove the boot options and let my pc boot up like normal. Reformating isn't really an option for my storage drive because I have no way right now to back up the files on there, but since my computer isn't trying to boot from it anymore couldn't I just delete the windows folders?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds