virus protection for Windows ME

Discussion in 'Software' started by lyn, Jul 30, 2007.

1. lyn

lyn Private E-2

A problem has come up, I have been using trend PCcillin for virus protection for 7 years ( yes it is a very old system) and they no longer support Windows ME I googled and came up with a free one called "avast" But Trend had an add for ME on the same page so that one may not support ME either!

I'm not able to get an external harddrive that supports ME either. Dynamond recomended a 1 GB usb flashdrive for that problem.

I hate to spend $ on this ole thing, what would it cost to put XP on it? Its 2GB, 60 GB HD with 512 Ram (?) its so old I'm not sure! My old truck is always first in line for extra cash.

Thanks for any help,
    Lyn
    You guys have been very helpful keeping it going this long!

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

3. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I'll second the Avast vote. I've used it on Win98SE, 2000, and XP with great results.

Reference Windows XP - I purchased a retail version "upgrade" of XP home at Wal-mart a year or so ago for $100.00. Not sure if you can find it in stores now that Vista is out. Check here for examples you can get on-line:

http://www.directron.com/systems-operating-systems.html

I do most of my computer related business with this outfit - they are based in Texas. Newegg also sells operating systems.

4. lyn

lyn Private E-2

Thanks,
    Glad to have 2 positive responses to the Avast protection. I did get this :

To answer your question, please be informed that the 2007 versions for Anti virus and Pc-cillin do not support the 98/ME platforms. I would suggest that you just renew the exisiting license for 2005/2006 versions and continue using that version.

From Trend. Thier telephone support did not suggest that? I've never had a virus or ? anything shut this computer down in the 7 years i've had it. If you think Avast is just as good I sure don't mind saving the money!

Thanks again, I really apprciate your help in these matters.
    Lyn

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Its already been said, but, here is another vote for Avast :)

I used it for a couple of years on ME, and had no problems at all.
    Unlike the very well known expensive Anti-virus I was using before that.

Good luck

6. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

I use Avast on my win98 with no problems.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't think AVG 7.5 is compatible with Windows ME

I recommend Avast to non commercial customers (yes I there are still commercial outfits using win 98) and would recommend it to you.
    The free version does not do spyware / add a firewall so also think about ad aware or a squared. 7 years and no virus.
    You have obviously been following Airplane/Naked Gun movies and practise safe surfing. Keep it up good user practise in the first place helps more than band aid.

If you mean 2 GHz speed, 60 G hard drive, 512 RAM you could upgrade to XP. Find and OEM version for about $60 and add your system to a brand new something (squeak squeak) to qualify as a 'system builder'

Expect a slight decrease in speed of operation with XP, so only do this if you have hardware or applications that need it.

8. lyn

lyn Private E-2

Thanks studiot and all,

"ad aware or a squared. for spyware and firewall"? I can google them?

"You have obviously been following Airplane/Naked Gun movies and practise safe surfing." Nope, never heard of them..... found by google as well? Sound as if I should find out about them!
    :eek:....was that a joke about real movies? I never go to movies and don't watch allot of TV. Outside with horses 24/7/365 and ranch chores till sleep is required! I'm way out of the picture!

Off to download Avast.
    Thanks again,
    Lyn

9. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

There's a version of Avira's AntiVir for Windows 98/ME. I swear my AntiVir and recommend to it everybody. From what I understand, it is consistently one of the highest rated free AV apps available. Be sure to check it out: http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_7_for_Win9xME_d4472.html I would recommend Avast second, and AVG third. Don't forget spyware protection (link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Spyware_Terminator_Without_Web_Security_Guard_d5242.html) and a firewall (link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Free_d3356.html)

hd2k

BTW- all programs linked to above are 100% freeware ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds