SpywareBlaster and Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by wwalker555, Jul 30, 2007.

1. wwalker555

wwalker555 Corporal

First, I need to tell you that I am a new Vista user -- recently bought a notebook which came loaded with Vista Premium, my desktop has XP -- so some of my question may be due to ignorance.

I loaded SpwareBlaster on the notebook and now when I go to check if there are any new updates the User Account Control issues the following msg - 'An unidentified program wants access to your computer'. I have been permitting it to run since I know SpywareBlaster is an okay program. But, now I am concerned that if I have to permit SpywareBlaster to run to get updates can it possibly not be running as it is designed to run to help me avoid malware?

Is this what I should expect from here on out? Or is there something I need to do in Vista to let it know that SpywareBlaster is okay run without me manually permitting it to run?

Also, when I am in the Windows Security Center, it lists Windows Defender as my spyware protection. When I click on 'Show me the anitspyware programs on this computer', SpywareBlaster is not even listed. Can this be correct - I know I have loaded SpywareBlaster and as mentioned above, I run it to download updates from time to time?

Do I have any problems here or am I just not understanding the way Vista operates and everything is okay?

Thanks for your help.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Unless SP1 changes the functionality of UAC to allow programs to run without user interaction after approval, it seems we have to live with it. I installed SB as admin and also checked the default programs list and it wasn't there either. Maybe someone else has the answer.

3. wwalker555

wwalker555 Corporal

Thanks augie, from what you said and the lack of other responses, I will assume the way SpywareBlaster and Vista are interacting on my notebook the way they should be running.... If anyone can see that there is a problem from my description, please let me know.

Thanks

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

UAC, Augie covered and to add, if applications are updated to work properly with Vista, adhearing to the newer security protocols then they will be allowed, like your Antivirus, but some applications even if updated will always have the UAC prompt especially if they are to access the registry and Spywareblaster does.

As for the Security Center, well SpywareBlaster is not a antimalware scanner so will likely not enter that list at all, Spywareblaster does not run in the background nor does it scan, its main job is to add known bad sites and activex components into your browsers blocked website list and the only time you run it is to update it.

Nope you dont seem to have any problems, just may need to play with Vista and use its functions a little more, but this may help explain many functions http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds