Gateway 200 ARC laptop paging file problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by microlion, Jul 31, 2007.

1. microlion

microlion Private E-2

Hi,

I have a Gateway 200 ARC laptop with Windows XP home on it.. And I can not seem to set the Paging File size... It seems to always go back to 256 MB...

Has anyone else experience this sort of thing and if so were you able to remedy it...

Thanks....

Microlion

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Can you please post exactly what you are doing to try to set the pagefile?

3. microlion

microlion Private E-2

I go to the Control Panel, Then System, then advance, then click on settings for Performance, then Advance Tab, then Under Custom set in 1521 to 2048, then Set.. Then the currently allocated shows 1521 after clicking ok.. Then.... I reboot and it goes back to 251 MB....

Thanks for asking.....

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alright!
    Now, I would suspect that there's a registry permissions (or possibly corruption) issue. Let's check/set permissions on the key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    As well as ensuring that the 'PagingFiles' value in this key is set appropriately.
    It should have three parts. The location of the file, the minimum, and the maximum sizes. So in your case, it should read:

C:\pagefile.sys 1521 2048

(Assuming that you're using the default location for the pagefile)

Post back if you have any problems.

5. microlion

microlion Private E-2

Hi.. Thanks for the reply.. I should be back at the laptop tomorrow...so I will look at it and get back to you if that is ok...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds