no sound after installing sp2

Discussion in 'Software' started by gweny1962, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

I downloaded sp2 and now i have no sound says no audio detected, was working fine before i did windows updates, i have tried everything nothing is working I have a yellow exclamation point by crystal sound fusion(tm) audio device, my mobo is pc chips m863g, chipset sis 741gx, please help this is very irritating?(~_~) thanks in advance::cry

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What make and model is your PC?

3. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name USER-5MWK0L2IXO
    System Manufacturer ECS
    System Model M863
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1800 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080010, 7/15/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name USER-5MWK0L2IXO\Owner
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 126.86 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.10 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Looking at the drivers for crystal soundfusion card and none seem to support XP. (I will look deeper) I did find a driver for your mobo on-board sound. Try that and see if it restores your sound.
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pr...nuID=0&LanID=0&DetailID=265&DetailName=Driver
    Scroll down to C-Media Codec Sound on board driver
    Set a restore point.
    Download the driver.
    Un-install your current sound driver.
    Install the new one. (It is a .zip file,so you will have to un-zip it.)
    Re-boot.
    Let me know if it worked. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  5. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

ok i downloaded the file and unziped it, went to device and unstalled the crystal fusion one but when i click to add new harware the same crystal fusion one reinstall and comes back up with that yellow exclamation mark, am I doing something wrong, how do I install the c media codec one i downloaded from the pcchips website? thanks in advance

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

There should be .exe or setup file in the the unzipped folder. That is how you will install the new driver. Un-install the old again and then look in the driver folder you un-zipped for one of those two. Double click on it. When it is done running you should get a prompt to re-boot.

7. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

when I went to set up I'm getting a error message my computer is not equipped with there audio chip it direct me to there website but it wants a cmi number and don't know where to get that from, so I'm lost again

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I've searched several times using your chipset and mobo # and keep ending up at that download page. When I entered CMI number in their seach I ended up on a chinese page. Actually, been to german, french, and finnish pages, too.rolleyes
    I can't find anything at ECS without an actual model #. I get nowhere there with the mobo and chipset #'s.

I found this driver but wasn't sure if it was the right right one. I thought it was for Win98 and older, but looking at the actual download page, it just says windows. This is also a zip file.
    Hopefully this driver works for you.
    http://www.driverfiles.net/Sound-Cards/Onspeed/Crystal-SoundFusion(tm)-PCI-Audio-Accelerator/download/page

9. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

ok i found the chip it was saying i didnot have however when went to unzip, now i'm getting a error message saying please plug in c media device, what does this mean?

10. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

ok i found the chip it was saying i didnot have however when went to unzip, now i'm getting a error message saying please plug in c media device, what does this mean?

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That is something I have never seen. I wonder if your sound card has gotten loose and that is what it means. I'll do some checking.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I found out that is for something not on your PC. It is a PnP media device codec. I don't know how I ended up with that first driver. It is 'sposed to be for your chipset. Try the second driver I gave you.

13. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

[i open it up my sound device is tight in the slot I'm lost again, i went to c media.com and download the audio chip cmi8768 which says it's compatiable for window xp did i not download the correct one? i appreaciate all your help i just want my sound back:cry

14. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

ok exactly which one am i suppose to download

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

16. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

I opened it up and just pushed the sound card in, and WELLA my sound is back I never got a change to install anything, thanks again;)

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is the one you were trying to get first, right?
    M863G (V1.5A) Sound Driver
    Driver Name C-Media Codec Sound on board driver Version 046B02
    Release Date 2004/10/14
    Update Description
    Special Note
    File Size 21.3MB
    Support O.S Windows 98SE ; Windows Me ; Windows 2000 ; Windows XP ; Windows NT 4.0

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Doh!!!! Why didn't I think of that first:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds