Can't get past scandisk

Discussion in 'Software' started by 12months, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 12months

12months Private E-2

Hi everybody. :)
    Last night my hubby's laptop froze and wouldn't reboot.

We can get it to the point of scandisk running but it stops at 9% and won't go farther.

It's an old beater of a laptop and I just want to get in there somehow and back his files up onto an ext.hd...then kiss the thing good-by but I don't know how...

anybody have some ideas? (I know a tiny bit of dos)

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Does scandisk keep restarting? If so, something is running in the background and stopping it. You might try running it in safe mode, if possible.

And, you can try letting it stay at 9% for awhile, sometimes it takes awhile and just seems to be stuck.

Steve

3. 12months

12months Private E-2

Thank you for replying Steve. :)

Evidently the scandisk ran last night for 45 minutes and the machine was heating up. It's not a case of restarting itself either- just stops.
    Listening to it, it sounds as tho it's 'stuck in a loop' with the same repetitive clicking noises.

Is there some way to bypass the scandisk program?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What Operating System and did you try safe mode (tapping F8 on startup)?

Steve

5. 12months

12months Private E-2

Yes, I tried safe mode but scandisk just appears, starts, and halts at 9%

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Restart and press Enter when scandisk starts.

Steve

7. 12months

12months Private E-2

Steve:

O.S. is Windows 98 se
    I tried entering at the onset of scandisk and am now just seeing a blinking curser and nothing else on a black screen.

My husband tells me that that there was a message at one point to the effect of: "scan disk has encountered an error and cannot proceed"

:(

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

In Win98 when scandisk starts you should have an EXIT option............I think.

Do you have anything connected to the laptop, a printer?

Steve

9. 12months

12months Private E-2

I think there is an 'Exit' button/icon but I don't know how to access it since I have to use the keyboard and I don't know what to press for 'exit'. (that's very very little I know about the dark seamy underbelly of the o.s. :( )

Nothing plugged in except the mouse- no internets/printer etc.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hold down the CONTROL key while you boot the machine and see if the Windows 98 boot menu comes up .

Steve

11. 12months

12months Private E-2

I get the options to start with or without cd rom support, safe mode etc. but always seem to hit the scandisc program or the black screen with the blinking cursor- I do own a bootable floppy disc that has some basic files on it but don't know how to proceed with that...

I really appreciate your help with my lagging replies...I have to get to work and will try this again in a few hours...thank you again for anything you can suggest

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Is one of your options Safe mode command prompt only ? If so, choose it and see if it will run.

The "blinking cursor" is actually just the cursor arrorw blinking, correct? It is not a DOS prompt? If you can get to a DOS prompt type SCANREG/RESTORE and press Enter. ScanReg will startup, showing the different backups available. Highlight the most recent backup and press the 'R' key on your keyboard.

Another way you might try is Restart the computer then press CTRL + ALT + DEL at the same time (just like you are bringing up the task manager). Hopefully, you will get a warning about a registry/configuration error and to Choose 'Command prompt only' and run ScanReg. If you get this far just type the SCANREG/RESTORE command.

Steve

13. 12months

12months Private E-2

Well, I got that far and supposedly the registry checker is backing up the system files...but I don't think it's really happening. It's been 15 minutes and the laptop sounds like it's in a loop....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds