Opinions on new LCDtv/monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koppinjo, Aug 2, 2007.

1. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

I am looking to upgrade my computer monitor, but have started toying with the idea of getting an LCD tv to function as both a television and my computer monitor. However, I want to be able to play computer games (HL2 for example) on it without display quality suffering too much. my set up is as follows:

19" Samsung SyncMaster 912n LCD Display
    Dell...umm...model # unrememberable
    p4 prescott 3.2
    1 Gb ddr2 400mHz
    40 Gb SATA HDD
    160 Gb SATA HDD
    ATI Radeon x700 pro with arctic cooling VGA silencer cooling unit
    no-name dvd +/- r drive

I was looking at an Insignia 26" LCD tv for $430 at best buy (the only place the brand is sold), and the picture quality for regular cable (not HD) is wonderful. Would I be better off though buying say, a 22" widescreen monitor, new graphics card (nvidia 8600gt or gts), and some kind of tv-capture card?

Please help me out, I don't have room in my new apartment bedroom to keep my 27" crt tv. Sorry if this seems like it is mostly about television, but I really just want something that will not diminish the quality of computer gaming that I can get right now (although I know that is unavoidable when you go to a bigger screen.....and have an x700 pro)

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Lanfear

Lanfear Private First Class

although lcd tv's have come a long way most of them still cant compare to an actual lcd monitor. the only difference between the two is the tuner. but for some reason lcd tv manufacturers ( more than likely to raise profit margins ) have seen fit to put in lower res screens... by this i mean the max res capabilities are no where near that of a good ol comp lcd monitor. i.e. my 22" lcd monitor can display a true 1080p signal... where as you would have to go upwards of a 42" lcd tv to get that kind of resolution... also the refreshes are generally better on monitors, although they are getting better on tv's. framerates arent really an issue either way since you pretty much cap out @ 60fps. is you are still looking for gaming capabilities then IMO i would saygo for a monitor and a tuner card and skip the tv.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds