So slow,please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SleeeepyDussst, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SleeeepyDussst

SleeeepyDussst Private E-2

ive upgraded my pc from : Intel D-845WN (mthrbrd), P4 1.6 (cpu), 512mb x1, 256mb x2, (133mhz) (168-pin SDRAM DIMMs X 3)(memory) , to Asrock P4i65G (mthrbrd), Intel P4 3.06GHz Northwood HyperThreading(cpu), DIMM1: Aeneon AED760UD00-500C98X 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
    For some reason the new system runs really slow, infact twice as slow as the old system and i cant seem to figure out why?

The system is setup same as the old one ie: same programs, same startup items , when i logon it takes between 2-3 mins before taskbar appears then another 2-3 mins b4 system tray icons are there (all 4 of them) and no matter what applications i open they seem 2 take a lot longer than they should.my system is defraged regular and cleaned. Any help with this would be much appreciated cos its doing my head in now.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

When you installed all the new hardware (MB, CPU, RAM, etc), did you reload Windows? Windows Xp has a way 'bonding' to hardware, and if you replace hardware (esp. a new motherboard), your Windows won't run like it should, in fact, it will usually not even boot and you'll get BSOD's galore.... for best results, back up any stuff you want to save (music, pics, docs, etc) and format the hard drive, and install a clean and fresh copy of Windows. As soon as the Win install is done, install all your drivers; the MB drivers first, then your video card and sound card drivers (if applicable)...

hd2k

3. SleeeepyDussst

SleeeepyDussst Private E-2

Cheers for response :) I have 3 harddrives 1 20gig which i formatted several times b4 installing xp pro on it, 2nd which is an 80gig for keepin music/photo's etc and the 3rd for downloads/conversions etc. When i replaced everything i formatted the other 2 drives once and what was to become c: several times. Ive recently done to of the microsoft courses and am waiting to start my ccna (cisco) and the third of 5 microsoft but it has me baffled ;( . Ive tryed putting my paging files on the other drives which generally improves speed but it doesnt make a difference, if u think of anything else help would be appreciated . Many thanxs 4 ntime again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds