Azureus P2P security

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nostyle, Aug 4, 2007.

1. nostyle

nostyle Private E-2

I am on A DSL connection, I have been using Azureus 3.0.1.6.

I have been noticing weird things going on...

Back when I had a Sygate firewall, all my programs wanted to send out type 11 ICMP packets, programs like Aqua Dock, Doom 3, pretty much every program I opened.

Now I use Comodo, and of a few minutes ago, I am getting warnings that Aqua Dock is trying to use Azureus to communicate to random non-Tor computers all over the world. Azureus is trying to get almost every program on my PC to connect to the net, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are also trying to connect to the internet using whatever means possible. This did not happen until I started using Azureus.

"Windows Explorer (Or Aqua Dock, or my NotePad) is trying to use Azureus.EXE through OLE automation to communicate to the web..."

On the good side, my fish are not bothered by this in the least.

2. nostyle

nostyle Private E-2

So does anyone know anything about Azureus being used as a trojan horse to get into someone's PC, bypassing the firewall?

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have azureus but use it sparingly it tends to upload anything it can find which if you are on limited broadband can use up your allocation if your not watching it is not in the spirit of the program but if i use it for a download i disconnect straight away as i am on such Internet connection and when my allocation is up i can buy more in 500MB amounts but must pay for each one.

for download i have FLASHGET as my default it is not free but in the end can save money by the fact it's faster and you can control uploads also LIMEWIRE is good but beware a lot of the programs it finds are infected so unless you check everything for virus/Trojans before you download (with BITZI) you could get problems.

[​IMG]

4. nostyle

nostyle Private E-2

BELGIUM!!!!

I have unlimited DSL access for a monthly fee. U.S.A.

BELGIUMMMMM!!!

I heard you guys have a better internet network with higher speeds. I only get 3MB a second, even though the contract says "Up to 11MB a second".

They told me AFTER the service started that the local system is only provisioned for 3 MB a second.

B to the E to the LGIUM!!

I will look into those programs, my Firefox automatically DL'ed FlashGet, and I did not know what it was, never figured it was for P2P.

I am looking for any P2P program that goes through Vidalia/TOR/Privoxy for anonymity.

And if anyone knows about Azureus being used as a hole through my firewall or something, I would like to know what is up. I Google this stuff before asking things here, as not to distract from more important things.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i can get unlimited ADSL but it is unbelievably expensive here and tends to only be used by people who can offset the cost against tax I.E the self employed.

our speeds can be phenomenal but the more you want the more you must pay

[​IMG]

6. nostyle

nostyle Private E-2

What about this, Azureus is only supposed to use one port, but wants to connect using a ton of other ports?

Just to make sure, if something in Comodo firewall says it wants to connect to -

"Remote: IP address, port X"

it means it wants to connect to the IP address using MY port X or is it port X on the other PC?

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I don't understand why it tries to connect to another port but there must be a configuration that can stop it.

if you post this query in SOFTWARE i am sure one of the resident geeks can help you, good luck

[​IMG]

8. nostyle

nostyle Private E-2

Apparently Azureus uses one port to communicate, but randomizes ports for other functions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds