no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nikkilj, Aug 4, 2007.

1. nikkilj

nikkilj Private First Class

i recently had a problem had a problem with my pc, it would not start in normal mode so reinstalled windows and now my computer is fine but then i discovered when i wanted to listen to some music there was no sound which im sure must have been wiped when i reinstalled windows and when i go in sounds and devices it says there is no device found. i had realtek and i found it on my foxconn motherboard installation cd, i have tried to install it but it doest seem to work because there are still no sounds it does say its in the add/remove programs list though.
    does anyone no what i should do?

2. nikkilj

this is my system info

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name NICOLA
    System Manufacturer AWARD_
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 Genuinelntel ~2666 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Version ="5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    SMBIOS Version 2.2
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstracton Layer Version ="5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name NICOLA\nikki
    Time Zone GMT Standered Time
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 10.23 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Availaible Virtual Memory 1.96 MB
    Page File Space 305.77 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

i had a look in components for my sound device but it is just blank

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok, simple things first.
    You've checked the Master Volume and it is on?
    Is the Windows audio on? Go to Start>Run>type in: " services.msc ". Scroll down until you find Windows Audio.Make sure it is running. If not, click on Start.
    I don't think that's the prob, but best to check first.

Your audio card may be loose or not seated properly. Power off and open your case and pull the card out and then re-seat it.

If that doesn't work then your Plug and Play may be disabled.
    Click the Start button>Run>type in: " msconfig ", then click ok.
    In the next window click the Services tab. Check to see that the hide all Microsoft Services box is not checked. If it is, uncheck it. Scroll down until you see Plug and Play. Click the Plug and Play box if it is is unchecked.

If your audio device still doesn't show in the device manager or the status in msconfig is listed as stopped, try this to enable your Plug and Play.
    Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, and then left-click Manage. Click Services and Applications>Services>Standard, and scroll down to Plug and Play. Double-click Plug and Play. If a warning dialog box appears, click OK. When the next window appears, change the Startup Type to Manual, and then click Apply. Under the Service Status section of the Plug and Play Properties windows, click the Start button. This will start the Plug and Play service. Click OK on the Plug and Play Properties. You should be able to see the audio device the Device Manager.

4. nikkilj

ive been through everything you said and every thing is as it should be but i do not know how to check my sound card also i dont even no what it looks like.
    when i have checked my sounds and devices in the list of things it doesnt mention realtek AC97 and it did before i reinstalled windows

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Power off your PC. Open your case, (can't tell you how because I'm not familiar with your PC) Looking at the back of your case, your sound card is the one has the 3 jacks for sound. (the one your speakers plug into) There may be a lock tab or small bolt holding it in place. Gently pull it out and then push it back in nice and snug. Then check your device manager and see if you have an audio device yet.

If you have Everest or download it, You can get a little more info for me. I need the motherboard type and the audio chipset.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Your sound card will look similar to this:

Attached Files:

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Also, I can find no info on that brand of PC. It is an Nicola Award, right? Is it a home built or manufactured? Post what Everest finds.

7. nikkilj

i dont think its a nicola award when i installed windows it asked what i wanted to call my computer so i just put my name which is nicola

this is the motherboard

Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 12/20/2004-SiS-661-6A7I4FK9C-00
    Motherboard Name Foxconn 661M03-G

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 533 MHz
    Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
    Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
    Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
    RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset SiS661FX

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name Foxconn Electronics, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsOverview_motherboard.cfm?pSocket=&pChipset=
    BIOS Download http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownloadOverview_motherboard.cfm

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That helped, thanks. Looks like you should be able to find your driver right here at MG's. It is a Realtek AC'97. I found the original driver at Foxconn and it said it is for Win 2000, so if you updated to XP that is why you lost your driver. Here is the link to the drivers here:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html
    Let me know if it works.

9. nikkilj

i installed Realtek but it still says i still have no sound device.

10. padams

padams First Sergeant

right click my computer, and go to properties. Then click the hardware tab and click the device manager button. Are there any yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them? If so what are they?

11. nikkilj

the are question marks next to other devices, the devices are,
    lexmark 1200 series which didnt seem to install properly and now wont work
    PCI simple communications controller
    video controller VGA compatable
    X1200 series

12. padams

padams First Sergeant

Do you have a sound card or on-board sound?

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

14. nikkilj

im not too sure how could i find out

15. nikkilj

i dont know how to do that and should i uninstall realtek first

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  16. nikkilj

i did the setup and i still have question marks and exclamation marks with all that i mentioned before

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes uninstall the realtek driver, then install the sis driver
    What setup?

18. nikkilj

i downloaded it then i had to extract it and it said setup did i do it wrong?

19. padams

padams First Sergeant

No that's right. Is the sound still not working after the new driver?

20. nikkilj

no i still dont hav any sound and i dont know how to check if i have a sound card

21. hurleygirl

hurleygirl Private E-2

Musksnipe -- I too have no sound on my computer (Dell Dimension 2100 with Creative Labs Soundblaster Live sound card.) However, as with others, sounds says, "No Audio Device," but drivers are there and enabled "working properly."

Regarding your quote above, I tried this as my first step and found to my dismay that Widows Audio is not running. When I try to start it, I get an "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

How can I fix this as it's probably the root of my entire issue. BTW--I also have Norton Antivirus and saw in the history report that it stopped svchost.exe???

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds