RAM upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MichiganGeek, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MichiganGeek

MichiganGeek Private E-2

I attempted to upgrade the RAM for a HP Pavilion 6745C with Windows XP Pro SP1. Originallly, it came with 64MB installed in one of the two slots. I installed two 256MB PC133 LD SDRAM modules to bring it up to 512MB.

My problem was that the system would keep rebooting with both RAMs installed. It worked fine with only 1 RAM module. I tried different RAM modules at different slots. The only thing that caused reboot was if both modules were installed at the same time.

Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I've seen this happen before on an older IBM: It worked fine with one 256mb in either of two memory slots; and it worked fine with an identical 256mb in either slot... but if they were paired up, the system crashed. So I ran a diagnostic on each stick individually (they both passed 100%), and then ran the same diag with both sticks installed and got errors all over the place. Very strange! Both RAM sticks were brand new of the same make purchased at the same time from the same retailer. I ended up exchanging one stick for a different brand (same specs) and it worked fine.... PC's... you just never can tell, ya know???? ;)

hd2k

3. MichiganGeek

MichiganGeek Private E-2

Hi hopperdave2000,

That is very interesting. I purchased the 2 modules at the same time from same manufacturer, too. Maybe I should find a module from a different M.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Regards,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds