HD Controller error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimpeel, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I have been getting spontaneous reboots of my unit and the event log shows that I may have a drive controller failure. The controller is built into the MB so my question is:

Can I install a HD controller in an expansion slot or will I still get the same problem even though the old controller is out of the loop? ie: Will there be an interaction somehow between the two HD controllers?

Could the problem be on the drive which appears to be the controller but the controller is okay?

Here is the message I got from the event viewer:

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Installing a PCI controller will work. If the motherboard's on board controller is dying, a PCI controller is definitely one way to go. But keep in mind, when on board mobo components start to die, it's usually just a matter of time before things start to snowball, and the freekin board will need replacing.... just a word of warning....

hd2k

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Yeah, that's to my way of thinking also. Just lookin' for a plug for the dyke until the inevitable happens. Just can't afford to replace the whole thing right now.

Thanks,

J

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds