Weird question... SD card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blvdboy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. blvdboy

blvdboy Private E-2

I don't even know if you guys can help out with this sort of problem, but here goes:

I went on vacation and during one of the days I was scrolling through the pictures on my camera and the camera froze. I couldn't shut it off or anything, I had to open the battery chamber to get it to turn off. Every time I got to the same picture it would do this. So I get home and when I try to upload the pictures onto my computer it does the same thing-- get to a certain picture than freeze up. I've tried three different programs: RescuePro, PhotoRecovery, and PC Inspector and none of the three work. I even took it to WalGreens and they tried two different machines with no success.

I can view the pictures when I insert the memory card into my Wii but there's no way to delete the files in question, nor can I transfer them to another memory card or anything like that.

My last resort would be to send it off to have the photos recovered (from the company that the Sandisk technical support people referred me to), for $125.
    I've been on this forum two or three times in the past and you guys haven't let me down yet. Any suggestions, any software I can try, anything really would be useful. Thanks.

EDIT- the memory card in question has 1257 pictures on it that I'm trying to recover.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Can you recover the other pictures by opening the card in My Computer and then copying & pasting to hard drive?

3. stewthedarrenner

stewthedarrenner Private E-2

also,
    if its the same image that freezes up each time you try to read from the card,
    have you tried - right click to explore the card and then deleting the problem image ?

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Image Rescue 3

Not free-ware, but cheaper than taking the card to a lab, and once you've bought it you have it. The lab is a one-time thing. Worth checking out, maybe?

5. blvdboy

blvdboy Private E-2

I tried exploring the card as was suggested but it would not let me delete any files, nor would it let me cut and paste to a different location. I'm tempted to try the Image Rescue software but I'm apprehensive because it doesn't allow you to download a demo (which the previous software programs I tried allowed me to do and subsequently, I was able to see that it would not be able to work). Any other suggestions guys? Thanks for the help thus far.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Did the card come with any software? If so, there may have been data recovery software there.

7. blvdboy

blvdboy Private E-2

No, unfortunately the card came by itself. It's a Sandisk 2 GB card, if that helps any.

8. stewthedarrenner

stewthedarrenner Private E-2

hi,
    just had a look at the lexar IR3 site.
    i could be wrong but it seems essentially the same as rescue pro, so it might not do the trick.
    what type of sandisk card is it ? standard,ultra 2,extreme 3 or 4 ?
    what type/brand of card reader have you on your pc ? internal or external ?
    what is the readers connection type.. usb 1 or 2?
    and what OS are you running ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds