dial up connection problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grumbles, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Trying to connect Internet for my dad today and came up with a problem in connection.
    Brand new PC arrived - Inspiron 530 1.80ghz 2048 ram 250 gb hard drive running Vista. Internal Modem installed as he is quite happy with Dial-up for Internet connection as they don't access too often.
    I went into control panel-Internet Options-Connections (always dial my default checked)-Settings-Dial Up Settings. I entered his name and password and clicked Apply - OK. Great we got Internet connected, with email working fine and IE fine. After updating McAfee AV i was prompted to restart the system, but on restart, I could not connect again!
    I had to enter all the details in Internet Options again before getting connected.

Is there something that I am obviously missing or am I failing to check a box?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)
    Thanks

2. chipper_atmacneil

chipper_atmacneil Private First Class

Hi Grumbles :)

Based on the information given, your issue is with a Dell Inspiron 530 PC, with Windows Vista and McAfee Virus Scan installed. Very good. I still have a few questions I need answered first, then I should be able to find an answer for you.

First, before any other questions, do you agree to troubleshoot with me? (The agreement is that I will ask questions to gather information necessary to research your issue, then we will work on it together through MajorGeeks.com; I can't guarantee resolution of the issue. If this is acceptable, then we can proceed.)

1. Who is your dad's Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
    2. What version of Vista is he running? (Please include if it's 32 or 64 bit, as that affects what software is available.)
    3. Is there an error message? (Please be as specific as possible.)
    4. Does the McAfee security center include a firewall? If so, have you tried connecting with it turned off?

Let me know your answer ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Chipper for getting back to me :) Paid a lot of money for this system and it is a damn shame that we can't just get going without all this hassle :(

Answers are 1: Tiscali
    2: English Windows Vista Home Premium
    3: I will have to get back to you on that - the PC is at my Dads
    4: Yes there is a firewall fromMcAfee. I will try it by switching off.

Sorry to be vague. but I won't have all the answers until Sunday as I only visit him twice a week :)

I will post again at the weekend and fill in the 'blanks' :)

Thanks

4. chipper_atmacneil

Very good. ;) I'll be around today for about five and a half hours, and will come back tomorrow to check on things further. Let me know when you're ready and we can work to correct the problem.

5. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Chipper

Thanks for your help ;)

I have sorted out the problem - it was to do with the McAfee Firewall blocking this site. It was not something I would have looked for, so I must thank you for suggesting this :)
    We are going to switch to Broadband in the next 6 weeks, so things should be easier then :)

Cheers

Grumbles

6. chipper_atmacneil

I'm glad to see it worked out. Here's an article at McAfee which may help should the issue resurface in broadband:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?docid=409402&CategoryId=110363
    McAfee Virus Scan Plus version

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/
    McAfee Knowledge Base

If the first link above is incorrect, try searching the Knowledge Base link below to look up your McAfee product. You should be able to find the information to properly configure the firewall so it will not block your Internet browsing again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds