Lan problems with Abit KV-80 K8M800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N5638J, Aug 4, 2007.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I got a ABit KV-80 and every time i try to enable the Network on the mobo it causes the computer to run very slow or lock-up. i have tried uninstalling it but upon restart it does the same thing before it gets past the xp loading screen.So i had to disable it in the bios to get to windows. Anything y'all can think of for me to try? i seen something about this board having a problem with hard drives over 160gigs and just the other day i put in another 120gig and i already had a 40gig and a 10gig.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but today i shut down my pc for awhile because i keep it running almost 24/7 so i thought i would give it a break. well when i turned it back on it could not find any of the hdd's or dvd-roms. and what fixed it was i unplugged it for awhile then plugged it back in and it worked..my spec's will be below.
    All drivers are up to date.

Abit KV-80 K8M800 mobo
    AMD 3100+ Sempron
    1gig pc2100
    120gig Maxtor
    40gig WD
    10gig Maxtor
    Lite-On 16X DVD-+RW DL with lightscribe
    Sony 16X dvd-rom
    EVG 6800 CO video card
    Promise Ultra66 ATA66 PCI

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Flashed the Bios? Reset CMOS? Latest motherboard drivers? Updated to latest Bios?

3. N5638J

N5638J Guest

yes i got the latest drivers, Bios and i already reset the CMOS.

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

ok now it seems to be working but now it says the network cable is unplugged when its not and its saying the same thing on the other computer (hooked via a crossover cable.) on the other pc it says after a restart that its connected at 100mb/s then says the cable is disconnected and does that afew times then stops and just says cable is disconnected. I fear the on-board nic on my main rig is messed up anything i can do to test it? oh yea upon restart of my main rig it starts freezing until i unplug it for afew sec then hook it back up and then it works and says nic is fine but cable is disconnected. Its starting to make me mad lol

(dang i miss my ASUS P4S8X-X never had any problems with it.)

5. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Ok i am starting to get pi$$ about this because on this last restart it started high-low alternating beeping (Beeeeeeep beeeep beeeeeeep beeeep and so on till i shut it off.)
    same as what this guy had happen
    I don't know whats going on now them beeps were coming from my 2 speakers so i don't know if it was for my mobo or video card. :(

also on start up i been seeing something that went by to fast to read but this time i happen to remember to hit pause-break and i got to read it and it says "IDE Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed" but right before that it reports Channel 1 Master: WDC WD400BB-18DEA0 05.03E05
    Channel 1 Slave: ST340014A 3.16
    and for channel 2 master and slave it shows my burner and dvd-rom

I am at a loss. I need some ideas. I don't even want to shut it off now out of fear that it might not start back up!!

6. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Bump

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have you still got older versions of the bios? Any version in the last four years should give access to all the facilities on your board if it is a firmware (bios) problem. Sometimes a new version screws things up or won't work at all.

You have reset the CMOS, how about checking the battery?

Other hardware possibilities for random oddities are

An overdriven power supply, particularly on the 12volt rail.

A failing power sharing transistor on the mobo (SMD by the USB ports)

Failing capacitors on the mobo.

www.badcaps.net

8. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Battery is fine checked it on a volt meter

Bios was already up to date when i got the mother board last year.

Remember everything was working fine on Friday but on Sat it all started with the nic not wanting to re enable.

only things sharing 12volt rails is the dvd-rw and rom are sharing one and the 3 HDDs are sharing one. The rest Video card and fans have there own 12volt rails.

My psu is a thermaltake 400-450watt so it should be good enough for it.

and no theres no blown caps. but you did give me somethings to think about and look into.

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Did you tread on the LAN wire/ connector?

I think you mis understood

Try an earlier version!

10. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I understand what you said ;) i just forgot to answer it lol i tried to downgrade and can't i don't have a floppy so i made a bootable dvd and it loaded fine but apon trying to update the bios it said it failed due to not having enough memory. and the crossover cable is fine because i even brought my mothers computer in here and hooked it up to the cable and it worked just fine while mine says the cable is unhooked and having them other problems.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you open a command window and type ipconfig /all that will give you the ip address of the lan card. eg. 192.168.0.65

Try ping 192.168.0.65.

4 replies a few milliseconds each will confirm if the card is working.

12. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Done tried that lol i just got a timed out. I did try my router with a reg cat5 cable and my pc was showing up on the router and would talk every so often but then it would gave me that connection is limited.

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So you have either got to fix the mobo or get a new lan card.

14. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Yea thats what i am thinking so i removed my seagate 40gig and left the WD 40gig and 120gig and removed the RAID card so now i got a slot for a new network card if i ever get the cash for one. Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds