Drive is not ready for use.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RavingViper, Aug 5, 2007.

1. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Ok, this error keeps popping up ever so once in awhile. I usually choose ok and it goes away, but it seems to be up in the mornings when I get up and also when I get home late from work.

Says

THE DRIVE IS NOT READY FOR USE.

Then it mentions that the door may be open or not functioning or somethin like that.

When I click OK, it doesnt come back until hours later. It sounds like a registry bug, or somethin.

Ive ran Nod32 and found no viruses of any sort. Ran Ad-Aware, nothing.

So Im up for any suggestions

2. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Ok heres an update.

I woke up this morning and the error came back again

Windows - Drive Not Ready

X The drive is not ready for use;its door may be open. Please check drive A: and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed

If I press OK, it goes away up until late tonight, then it pops up again.

HELP!!

3. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Anyone?

4. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Still having issues with this. Any help would be great.

5. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

6. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Thanks for your reply, however the article reflects on those using a zip drive or Norton, which in my case, I dont use either one.

Im thinking this might be a registry issue, but not sure.

The virus program I do run is Nod32, but Ive had it installed on my computer for awhile now, so doubt its coming from that, but who knows.

7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

ok, just one more question before I let those smarter then my self answer. :)

Did you check inside your pc to see if all the wires to the A drive are firmly connected? A loose wire could cause it to not be "ready".

8. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

What is your A: drive? is it a floppy drive? or cd drive? or what?

9. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Yah, I actually did and everything looks good to go. Nothing seemed loose.

I know its got to do with a registry issue or something in my windows thats triggering something to happen, because like I said, in the morning when I wake up, I see the error. When I click on CONTINUE, it goes away and doesnt come back until after I get home after 11pm.

During the day, it never comes back. Only in the early mornings and late at night. *shrugs*

Just cant figure it out

10. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Well, my computer is clone.

If you go into MY COMPUTER, A: drive is labeled as a 3 1/2 floppy drive.

BUT I dont have a 3 1/2 floppy drive. The only actual drives I have is a hard drive labeled C, which I use, and a CD/DVD Rom drive which is labeled, E: and an external USB DVD-rom drive labeled F:

But for some reason, I have a floppy drive A: thats in my computer, but I dont have a floppy drive even installed in my computer.

11. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

try uninstalling this mystery drive then? try going right click the 'My Computer' icon and click properties, then click the hardware tab and click device manager..... see if you can find a floppy drive on there.... if so try uninstalling it....

if you're so sure its a registry thing try downloading 'Wise Registry Cleaner' here from MG and who knows, maybe that might fix it

12. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Yah, I did just that, and so far.....well.....I guess until I restart my computer, the error has gone away, but I did find a FLOPPY DRIVE listed in device manager. Why and how, Idk. So I uninstalled it.

If I restart and it comes back, then apparently I got a problem and will probably need to download that Wise Registry software I guess.

13. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

alright, let us know if that solved the problem for good....

also i would highly recommend using Wise Registry Cleaner every now and then, it really does do a very good job at cleaning up and fixing your registry.... it also has the very nice feature of telling you if something is safe to remove or whether it might not be safe to remove..... its a very good free program and i highly recommend it!

14. Smelly Bear

Smelly Bear Private E-2

Hi, not sure if you're still having this issue, but if you are then the following may be of interest to you.

The message you are getting is actually coming from Nod32 itself. Briefly, it's configured by default to scan floppy drives on boot up and shut down... the theory being that if you've left a disk containing an infected file in the drive, you don't want to boot your PC with that disk still in the drive, otherwise you'd get infected.

However, Nod32 doesn't seem to check whether there's actually a disk in the drive... it just throws the error message saying that it couldn't access any floppy disk, and to check whether the door is properly closed, etc...

You can disable this functionality - without disabling the rest of Nod32 - by going into the Nod32 Control Centre, and within the Threat Protection Modules section, select the AMON (Activity Monitoring). Next click the Setup button to adjust the AMON settings, and look in the Detection tab for something called "Scan boot sectors on Access and Shutdown". Disable both of these.

By disabling this option, you are potentially leaving yourself vulnerable to infection if you have an infected floppy disk in your drive and you boot your PC with it (and your computer's BIOS is set to access the floppy drive before it loads anything from the hard drive) but personally I never use floppy disks these days any more, so I have it disabled. I find using a USB key much more convenient than a floppy disk.

Hope that helps :)

15. RavingViper

RavingViper Private E-2

Yah Im still getting this horrible message, and lately the only way Ive been able to disable the message from coming up is going into device manager and uninstalling floppy disk drive, but as soon as I reboot the pc, it comes up stating NEW HARDWARE FOUND, but the weird thing is I dont even HAVE a floppy drive. Seriously. I dont have a drive A.

Hmmm, interesting. I actually DO run Nod32. However I dont even HAVE floppy disk drive. I only have a DVDrom burner on drive E and an external drive on drive F which I always leave my SIMS 2 game in it.

I did do the above anyways, so we'll see what happens, but yah I dont even have a floppy disk drive.

16. Smelly Bear

Smelly Bear Private E-2

Cool - thanks for the reply :) Let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
    Smelly Bear

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds