Settings reverting back to default on restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 9Pin, Aug 6, 2007.

1. 9Pin

9Pin Private E-2

Hi
    I'm new to the forums here. I have used the downloads section before and thought I would try the forums with a challenge I'm having.

-Windows XP Pro;
    -800Mhz Celeron processor
    -256mb shared ram (pc100)(yes, slooww)
    -flex AT form factor (small with only 2 pci slots)

I have an old computer I am working on. I was asked to make it wireless. Swapped out the NIC for a Belkin F5D7000tt Wireless G Desktop Card. I loaded the drivers from the CD, then installed the card. The card immediately picks up the network, but doesn't assign the proper IP. I get the 169.254.252.213. So I update the drivers for the motherboard. I then go to the Wireless Network Connection Properties only to see the General and Advanced tabs. So I go to Services and start the Wireless Zero Configuration service. I also ensure the startup type is automatic. Now I go back to the Wireless Network Connection Properties and can now also see the Wireless Networks tab and the Authentication tab. From here I put a check mark in the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". I highlight the network and click Configure. I check "Data Encryption (WEP Enabled) "Network Authentication" and uncheck "The key is provided for me automatically". I then click Okay and Okay and I have internet access. However, when I restart the computer, it takes me back to the beginning and I have to do this all over again, back to starting the Wireless Zero Configuration service. I have tried putting this to manual or automatic and the results are the same. I am sure I am not seeing something obvious, and I am stymied. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds