Enermax Infiniti 650W and CPU Heat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Billybob22, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Billybob22

Billybob22 Private E-2

Hi All

Finally got all the pieces together

Akasa eclipse case,
    650 w inifinti enermax power,
    P5N32-e sli plus motherboard

I have also got 2gb ram, raptor and an 8800 GTX card, plus a dual core 6850.

The only problem I seem to have is heat, idling the CPU is at about 50 c with case open and 60c with the case closed. The GPU idles at about 69c.

I am thinking that these are a little high, especially the CPU. Any ideas ?

One thing I was not sure about is the mounting of the PSU, should the fan be facing down and blowing onto the cpu heatsink, or pointing up to the top of the case. Various guides and pictures tell different stories.

Could it be the CPU heatsink needs re-seating ? I did attach the fan and it is running.

Any ideas appreciated as with the 2x 12cm fans already in the case the idle temp just seems high.

Another thought ..

I have a new E6850 chip, that I mounted the standard heatsink and fan on. Should I put some thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink but maybe it needs more ? Has only been in a few days so would I need to remove the old paste ?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Howdy BillyBob.

The fan on the heatsink should normally blow down. Make sure you do not have to much thermal compound on the CPU. I am not sure about the temps for Intel CPU's. It sounds like you have an airflow problem in your case. Make sure your intake fan is blowing in, and the exhaust is blowing out.

Or possibly something is blocking your intake fan?

I did some looking around on Intel's site.

http://developer.intel.com/design/core2duo/documentation.htm
    or
    http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/299986.htm

After spending some time on the site, going to Section 5.1.1, Table 27, Table 28 Figure 20, of the Data sheet, I am still confused on what the CPU temp should be at... Got to head out to work, hopefully someone that knows more about Intel CPUs can help you out.

E

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  3. Billybob22

Billybob22 Private E-2

Thanks Fred.
    I wanted to do something last night so I nipped to the local pc shop to purchase some thermal paste. Had a chat with the guy’s there and they basically said the stock CPU and fan is not good. They were also not very complimentary on the way the HSF connects to the motherboard. They said unless you have an Intel MOBO they clips loosen up etc. When building machines they leave the stock heatsink off and put on a different one.

I ended up buying a cheap (£11) Spire heastsink and fan, it basically comes with a backplate to attach to the underside of the MOBO. I put this on last night (after cleaning the CPU). Not having much time I did some quick tests but the idle temp on the CPU has gone from 50 – 60 depending on which parts of the case are on to 37 ish with most of the case on.

I also did a quick 3dMark test and the CPU peeked out about 51c which is a hell of a lot lower to previous tests (80+).

I will do some more tests but 50c under load seems reasonable to me.

The GPU also dropped by about 5c as I guess the whole case was cooler.

So I think okay for the moment though may look at a more expensive heatsink in the future.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like you solved your problem! Glad you got it figured out.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds